Anybody have trouble hatching in winter?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Maryallison, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Temps have been pretty cool even here in Florida. The back room of the house where I do all my hatching has some "vent issues"too so the room is even cooler. I was thinking about trying to hatch some chicks in about 3 weeks and was just hoping the cooler house temps don't mess with the incubator too much. I plan to bring incubator out to my living room where temps are a little warmer. My daytime house temps range between 65 & 71 right now. Any tips on stablizing my incubator temp?

2. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    In the winter, I usually setup my incubator away from any windows or vents. I let the temp stabilize for about two or three days before putting the eggs inside. So far, so good. I had one hatch go haywire this winter. My husband had put the incubator too close to the heat vent so the temp would flunctuate too much throughout the day. [​IMG]

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    My room that the bator is in runs between 50 and 65 (we are cheap, using oil heat ($$). No problems at all with my last hatch.

4. Charm1704

Charm1704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Elgin, Tx
    I have the bator in my large bathroom, it's the warmest room in my house with no drafts. hatched chicks last tuesday, and expecting another one in a couple of days......no problems here. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by