Anybody Incubating On January 17th?

segnenlea

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 7, 2009
Pontotoc,MS
Hi everybody~

I just my incubator yesterday with 5 different breeds. I've got Black Australorp, Orpington Buff, Speckled Sussex, Cuckoo Marans & Buff Brahmas. My hatch date should be February 7th... Anybody hatching about that time?

ME! ME! I should be due around then too - Feb 5th. I have 7 green EE eggs from my 2 23 week old pullets - trying to hatch out Bandit's eggs as she passed away last Saturday from unknown causes. Some of the eggs are her's as she only laid 6 eggs before passing and some are from her hatchmate Smokey. I also put in 3 White Leghorn eggs from my 26 week old Snow White.

Hope your hatch goes well - sounds like you have a good mix of chicks.

I have some silkie eggs due to hatch Jan 23rd!!! Candled last night and had a few quitters I had to throw out but, still have 9 going strong!! Hope they make it through lockdown!!
fl.gif
Oh this is our first hatch with our new incubator, we got a R-com20 for Christmas, before we had been using a LG so we are very excited about this hatch!!! Good luck to everyone else on your hatches, here are some good hatch vibes for ya
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Hi, Put 6 eggs under little game hen (not game eggs but from flock) to establish her as broody...she will be the 4th capable (actual) of hatching......need this to replenish flock naturally, thats my goal.....broodys: fizzle, game/RIRmix, game/RIRmix and young buff orp.... will not discourage ... what do you do?

Has anyone candled yet? I'm so tempted to candle, but since it's only been 6 days I don't want to mess with them so much. Originally I thought I would candle on days 7 and 14, but now I think I'll wait it out for the whole 21 days and not candle at all this go round. They are being turned by an autoturner and I only open to add warm water every other day for humidity levels.

celebrate.gif

I just candled mine today and so far.... all of them are fertile!!!! wooohoooo!
fl.gif
How about you guys? Since this is my first incubation of 2012, I am super "eggcited". lol Once these hatch, I will be incubating some eggs for an Amish family that lives down the road from us. I'm trading incubation time for his "Ohio Beauties" in exchange for some of the babies. Can anyone tell me if this is an actual breed (Columbian Wyandotte maybe?) Regardless, they are gorgeous and lay big brown eggs. I will also be incubating eggs from my INTENTIONALLY mixed birds (Black Australorp/Orpington Buff). They are a great & beautiful mix~
...ok so I MEANT to put the pic below what I wrote but I can't get it to move. SO, this is my BA/OB mix~

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Okay, I have not had this happen before so PLEASE, somebody tell me if this is normal!!! Today is day 19. I have counted & recounted. I made sure 4 different times. Even wrote it on my calendar next to my incubator. Today is the day I lay the eggs on their sides to rest. Right? I did this today. AND I have 4 eggs pipping as I type this! Is this normal? Last year, I incubated 4 different hatches and I never had any of them come early~

I'm "eggcited" but worried also. Any explanations? Thanks!!!

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Okay, I have not had this happen before so PLEASE, somebody tell me if this is normal!!! Today is day 19. I have counted & recounted. I made sure 4 different times. Even wrote it on my calendar next to my incubator. Today is the day I lay the eggs on their sides to rest. Right? I did this today. AND I have 4 eggs pipping as I type this! Is this normal? Last year, I incubated 4 different hatches and I never had any of them come early~

I'm "eggcited" but worried also. Any explanations? Thanks!!!

Yeah for pips and chicks!
wee.gif
I had 2 hatch out Saturday - none of the others were developed. Mine hatched 2 days early as well - arriving overnight on day 19 rather than 21.

As far as lockdown dates - usually you increase humidity and stop turning (or take out the autoturner) on Day 18 - but you can also do it on Day 17 evening.

Why they might be early - could be temps were too high throughout incubation according to my Hovabator trouble shooting chart. You may want to test your thermometer.

Congrats on the hatch!
jumpy.gif

Here are my new peeps.

Last edited:
woot.gif
woot.gif

So far, I have had 2 Orpington Buffs, 1 Speckled Sussex and 1 Black Australorp hatch. BUT, the australorp has worn itself out and I honestly don't think it's going to make it. I have 3 more eggs that have pipped and are moving around though so I am hopeful I will have more today!
fl.gif
I've kept a close eye on my temps the entire time and I was proud of myself~ it stayed at 101 the entire time (except for one time it moved down to 98.. that was my fault though for not remembering to turn our house heater on when it got down to 32 degrees.) My problem right now is the humidy. My temp is staying stable but my humidity won't come down from 70 percent. Is this ok? I know optimal is 65 percent but I haven't been able to bring it down yet and I have both holes unplugged.
barnie.gif

So far I have 9 new babies!!!!
celebrate.gif

So far I am up to 5 Speckled Sussex ( that's all I had of those so I am so proud!) and 4 Orpington Buffs. I have 3 buff Brahmas that have pipped but haven't come out yet, 3 Cuckoo Marans that are also pipped and the rest are Black Australorps. They have also pipped but haven't made an appearance. so AWESOME!!! lol And you can tell.. this is a family affair!

Back
Top Bottom