Anybody up to creating a tutorial?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 2wheelsdaily, Jan 30, 2012.

1. 2wheelsdaily

2wheelsdaily Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2009
    South Georgia
    It would be really really nice if one of you who regularly shows chickens would create a thread with a simple tutorial including pics of what you check on a chicken when deciding to show it.
    My interest is in Silkies but I assume there are some basic things you check but then again I guess different breeds would have different requirements.
    I really just would like to see what you experts check. I would like to show Silkies one day but don't want to enter an embarrassing bird!
    Any takers?

Bobby

2. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    You could get a copy of the Standard of Perfection. That should tell you what constitutes a good bird from a bad one.

I would imagine that for silkies, the feathering and the quality of the freathering would be a biggie since that is one of the characteristics that defines the breed. That and the color of the skin. Just a guess though. I have no experience with showing silkies.

3. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    The "Marans SOP" thread has a lot of pics that can apply to all breeds of chickens, faults and DQs.

With Silkies, you can find quite a few pics and info on the already existing threads. Getting a copy of the SOP book would help you too like the previous poster said.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by