Anybody use or used cloth diapers?

There was a news story a month or two ago about some firefighters who created a flame retardant coating from the materials that make disposable diapers. COULDN'T find the news story, but I found this:
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-45304383.html
"A disposable diaper which is fire retardant has been developed by a UK inventor. According to UK patent application 2 268 069, little or no consideration has been given to the fire safety hazard presented by disposable diapers. Typical diaper components are all flammable, and the resultant product is also flammable both in storage and in use. The solution presented in the patent application is to render at least the coverstock and backing sheet fire retardant (self-extinguishing when ignited in free air at temperatures likely to be encountered in use of disposable diapers). ... "

BTW, the farmer where I used to keep my horses, was always burning dispoable diapers, except they were left when everything else had burned.

We used cloth diapers with our first child five years ago. We had a service and i was super convenient and less expensive then disposables. Worked great for the first six months, but after that, he started getting terrible diaper rash that went away when so we switched to disposables. Turns out he was a crazy poop machine, and we just couldn't keep up with him.

There was no diaper service any more when we had our other two kids, so we used (and still are using) disposables.

Once I finally have kids, been trying for 9 months, I plan to use cloth. There are so many types of cloth from All in ones that look like sposies but are cloth to using prefolds with a wool or fleece cover. Here is a good site to help you learn about all the types of cloth dipes that are around today http://www.diaperpin.com/home.asp

I did cloth both times. As long as you have a washer it's not much of a hassle. Baby poo is pretty soft, and if you use a fleece liner, all you have to do is shake the liner into the toilet, toss the diaper into the diaper pail, and toss them in the wash. I'm lazier than that, so i'd fill up the washer with low water, and run the day's diapers thru.

When out or about a disposiable is fine (carring home a wet diaper in my purse was a clear no), but with cloth you do change them more often, which is better for the baby. No fabric softner in the diapers, it'll reduce thier ability to absorb.

A young woman I know uses cloth, she orders them, I can't remember where, (Europe is ringing a bell) but they use velcro just like disposable diapers. I thought that was pretty neat! I imagine it would be a pretty high initial cost, but then you wouldn't have to buy diapers again after that.

My sister and I wore cloth as babies, my mom swears by it. My hubby wore cloth diapers too! A funny side story, my hubby and I were having a funny conversation about our childhood undies, and I asked him if he wore tightie whities. He said he wore baggy grays. Hand-me-down undies from his big brother who wore them in the 70's (this was in early 80's) and they would go over top the plastic undies that go over the cloth diapers. Then later when he was potty trained he still wore the baggy grays!
lol.png
I just got such a kick out of his mom using hand-me-down undies! Wealthy well-to-do family, too.
gig.gif

I used disposable.
I was a full-time working mom with a a 2+ hour commute. No thanks.
Maybe if I would have been a SAHM it would have been different. They are quite expensive.

I now work part-time and I still use disposable.
There are some things that are just worth the extra cost - including paper towels!

Not sure that cloth are actually any better than disposable for the environment with the water use and all..........

Quote:
http://www.perc.ca/waste-line/articles/diaper.html

Cloth diapering proponents bring up the fact that tons of used disposables have piled up in our landfills. In fact, throwaway diapers make up the third most common item in our landfill spaces, behind paper products and food containers. Since the average disposable takes about 500 years to break down in a landfill, the proportion of diapers there is ever-increasing.

Children in cloth diapers also tend to be potty trained at a much earlier age so that also helps. BTW I was never a SAHM and still managed with the cloth.

I used both cloth and disposable. The cloth diaper service cost the same as the disposables for when the baby was younger than 6 months (when you are using a lot of diapers). I managed to go out and about with the cloth just fine, but when the kids would stay with grandparents I would give them the disposables to use. The service I used would provide the velcro wraps, a specific number of cloth diapers to put in the wrap, and a diaper container to put the diapers in. The diapers that you got were only used by your baby during the duration of the time you used the service.

The disposables that were the best for sensitive skin I found were the Huggies Supremes. Hated Luvs and Pampers were so smelly with fragrances I could not tolerate them! The generic brand Wal-mart sells worked for all but one of my kids. I had to get the Huggies for that one.....

Not really on subject, but I am buying these for a baby shower gift, so cute, hoping to get a pattern from them. They look super comfy and imagine they feel well on the babies skin, I know how much I hate plastic touching me! Just passing this along after seeing someone post this site for making wool dryer balls.
http://shop.thegoodmama.com/category_s/20.htm

Back
Top Bottom