Anybody used starplates to build a coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ksl42, Sep 1, 2009.

1. ksl42

ksl42 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Casco, MI
    Stromberg's sells starplates to build buildings. You basically use similar sized 2x4's (or other sized wood) and attach them to the starplate brackets. Depending on the length of the boards you use, you can get a building up to 14 feet in diameter. They end up being sort of gazebo shaped.

Has anyone had any experience using these? Anyone use one for a coop? Are the buildings as easy to assemble as they make it sound? Thanks for your feedback.

2. Windrider

Windrider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I remembered seeing a starplate coop so I did a search and found Henrietta's thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=46453

If you are curious about a specific topic, use the forum search. It is located in the blue bar at the top of the page just under the Backyard Chickens header . It would take forever to find a specific thread without the search!

Oh, and welcome from one newbie to another! [​IMG]

3. New adventure

New adventure Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Pueblo, Colorado
    I think the starplates are the coolest things. I haven't gotten any yet but am planning to the for the next building project. There are lots of neat plans and layouts for them on strombergs website.
    and [​IMG] to you both!

4. big greg barker

big greg barker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    central maine
    what are starplates?

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I wonder how difficult it would be to cover a shape like that with hardware cloth. And of course you'd have to cut all of the roof panels individually into star shapes, too.

My next coop/run is going to be a hoop house. I'll only have to cut hardware cloth to fit the end panels.

6. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

My Dad built his house similar to that...it's a Geodesic Dome house. And he attached a smaller dome for his garage. It is really AWESOME.

Here's a website of dome homes:
    http://www.domeincorporated.com/

7. ksl42

ksl42 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Casco, MI
    I forgot about doing a search for starplates and did it right after I posted. I did find Henrietta's post and it was interesting. Has anyone else used them?

8. tomato lady

tomato lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    Several years ago I built a dome greenhouse with the star plates. I used 8 ft. lengths of 2 x 2. The whole kit was given to me by my son-in-law who had used it previously. He just used 2 x 2 s because he covered it with plastic. I can tell you that covered with plastic it turns into a huge kite in a wind storm! [​IMG]

I build the lower part (bottom and walls) and then built the top beside it, complete with plastic attached. My thought was that it would be easy to just set the top in place and bolt it down. My problem was that I was over 60 years old, only 5' 3" and my DH refused to help me get the top in place. That did not make me happy, but it did make me determined to do it myself -- AND I DID! [​IMG] (The Little Red Hen Syndrome) However, it wasn't easy and it fell a couple of times before I got it up. It was dark by the time I got it done.

Anyway, I still have the star plates. I wonder if I could make it with 6 ft. 2 x 4s and maybe it would be smaller and easier for me to do. It was incredibly tall with 8 ft. boards.

I wonder how much waste there would be cutting the siding. I also wonder what the cost would be vs. a traditional rectangular building.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by