Anymore People from Delaware?

Hi Tara,
I searched Facebook for the group but wasn't able to find it. I searched for the name exactly as it appears in your post. This sounds like a great idea so please let me know if the page isn't up yet or if the group name is a bit different than in your post. Thanks.

i live in delaware and i really want to own 4 chickens anyone know the laws if i can have them in a neighborhood none of them will be roosters

Hey Palm, welcome to BYC. You'll need to check the zoning of your property and the your county zoning code. If you own your property, the zoning should be shown on your deed or you can check with your county planning and zoning office. You might also be able to find your county zoning map online. I live in Sussex county and in agricultural (AR) zoning and general residential (GR) zoning you can have chickens but in medium density (MR) zoning you cannot. Good luck and I hope this is helpful.

Hi again Palm, I forgot to mention in my previous reply that if you live within the city limits of an incorporated town, you'll need to check out their zoning code as it will supersede the county zoning code.

Hello from a fellow Delawarean! I am in Dover :)

I've been doing lots of research on hens and am so excited to get started as soon as we buy a house (we're renting one now). I've been surprised to find out that Dover is just about the most chicken-friendly city in the state! We have been planning to move to Milford as a possibility but now I'm not sure since they do not allow backyard chickens. I need to find out what the county allows, because if Sussex county allows them then I will live just outside of city limits. Or possibly stay in/around Dover.

To those of you asking for specific breeds, you should go to Route 300 Pets & Feed in Smyrna, its across from the new ER. They have a giant poster of chicken breeds and they can get any of them pictured. They are very nice and knowledgeable there as well!

Here is the info:
5187 Wheatleys Pond Rd, Smyrna, DE 19977
(302) 653-8011

Welcome to BYC. As you probably know, Milford is part in Kent County and part in Sussex County being divided by the Mispillion River. The key to finding out if you can have poultry on a property in either county ( outside the Milford city limits ) is to check the zoning of the property and then check the zoning code. In Sussex you can keep poultry on properties with AR ( agricultural residential ) or GR ( general residential ) zoning. The zoning codes can be found at the Sussex County Planning and Zoning website. You'll need to verify the zoning of a specific property before you buy. Hope this helps, good luck.

Right Here From Wyomimg, DE!
woot.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom