1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

anyone a BANTAM expert? i have a question...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DementedHam, Apr 18, 2008.

1. DementedHam

DementedHam Songster

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    So my little bantam finally went broody which was TOTALLY unexpected because she was like loo-doo-dood-do-do. At least my sisters bantam gave signs of broodiness and we had a 100% success w/ 6 out of 6 hatches. Currently I have no bantam eggs because the 4-5 eggs that my bantam laid had no shell, only a membrane so I threw them away.

Can normal sized eggs be placed under her? If so, how many? How successful is this? Has anyone tried this? [​IMG]

Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

2. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    I have bantam cochins and had light brahma bantams. Both are/were great broodies. My cochins hatch a lot of my standard eggs. I only give them 2 but I am sure they could handle 4 easily. A lot depends on how big your banty is. Some need to be watched for a couple of days. They may leave the BIG eggs in search of smaller ones.

3. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Songster

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I am no expert on bantams. People have had successful standard hatches under bantams. I do know that bantams come in different sizes and so do eggs. You will kinda have to experiment. Place as many eggs as will fit but be covered.

4. DementedHam

DementedHam Songster

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    Thanks for the responses.

I have a new dilema now, though. I don't think my bantam is hot enough........................

When my sister's bantam was on the nest she was HOT and so were the eggs; my chicken is hot [but not as much] and her eggs are warm.

Am I over-reacting or being paranoid? She's been in there since Sunday-so four full days or so.

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I hatched 3 leghorn eggs under my Mille Fleur Bantam just fine. [​IMG] 4-6 eggs, depending on the size, will fit under the bantams.
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by