Anyone built a coop with 1/2 for chicken and 1/2 for ducks

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by outlawfarmer, Oct 25, 2011.

1. outlawfarmer

outlawfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Nieghbor giving me old 8x12 shed... I want to split it into ducks on one side and chickens on other.. maybe even with seperate runs. Anyone tried this?

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    it can be done, just a few 2x4s,plywood and chicken wire. My grandma had them in the coop together though and the few scovies she had stayed on their side.

3. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    I converted an old outhouse into my duck house. This thing sits on a concrete foundation so the floor gets hoses out every so often, but I must tell you (and I know some people here will completely poopoo me for it) I let them come and go as they please 24 hours a day. They have a nice hole cut in the bottom of the door for them and their food and water is in there, but they prefer to do their own thing all the time. They only sleep in there when its super cold. If you want to keep yours housed you need to pay lots of attention to their floor, they are incredible slobs with everything and they aren't like chickens... They are up and about during the night if they hear something or see something which means they splash in their water all night too (by that I mean drink). Maybe others have difarent experiences since people tend to close them up, but that's just mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by