Anyone else drop their eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nicole01, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I swear I'm the clumsiest person when it comes to handling eggs. I've dropped 4-5 now since they started laying in mid August. The last one I dropped was yesterday just after washing it to make French toast.

We go through so many eggs that we can't afford my clumsiness. Now the neighbors know our girls are laying, they tend to come over more often to "borrow" eggs.[​IMG]

2. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    YES!!!
    and it seems when my girls slow down in laying is when i drop more [​IMG]
    i try to treat them like gold lol then put them on the counter to wash them and plop plop plop on the ground they go [​IMG]

3. BaGAWK!!

BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    If your neighbs are relying on you for eggs, you should get more chickens! Chicken math!![​IMG]

I don't drop mine that often, however I am a vet asst so when I get home i check nests and put them in my scrubs pockets...then later end up forgetting and smashing them in my pocket as I'm bending to do something else...never fails in my quest to be efficient I lose a few eggs that way every now and then. Ha!

4. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    I haven't dropped any, but I do have to rescue them from my labrador pup from time to time. She likes to take them from the basket when I am not looking and carry them around in her mouth! She hasn't broken any either...yet!

And I totally agree that you need more chickens! (if you have the room- I want more but I have to add on)

5. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Yeah, I've dropped a few. Dropped a really pretty one, I was planning to incubate, and almost cried.

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh gosh yes!! I especially drop them when I'm candling hatching eggs... [​IMG]

It's bad enough that my 4 yr old says he should hold them... [​IMG]

7. itsiebitsiefarm

itsiebitsiefarm Professional Egg Stacker

Dec 31, 2010
    Lake Wales, FL
    I have dropped my fair share....BUT, my DH, is the World's worst, at dropping eggs. Bless his heart, he has now banished himself, from gathering any eggs, that we owe out for shipping. [​IMG]

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I agree that I need more hens. I'm averaging 102 eggs a month and I barely have enough to feed our family(I bake and make everything from scratch). We have given a couple away, but we have to limit our egg usage to do so. I'm planning on using the neighbor's BR rooster and hatching 2 more hens for our flock. I have to decide who, maybe my RIR and EE. I get an egg a day from both.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by