Anyone else experiencing the broody boost??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NeeleysAVLChicks, Jul 21, 2010.

1. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Two of my original girls, TBD (never came up with a name for her, so TBD stuck [​IMG]) and Lucy went broody in May and both hatched out gorgeous clutches of chicks. I let both girls raise them (they were wonderful mothers!) and after about a month or so, both mom's decided they had had enough and went back to their single lady lifestyle.

Here's the thing, previous to being broody, I would get 4-5 eggs a week from each girl, tops. But since they started back laying eggs again after raising their chicks, June 28th (TBD) and June 29th (Lucy), THEY HAVEN'T MISSED A DAY.

You got that right, a solid 3 weeks and neither girl has missed one day! Every evening I check their nesting boxes and just like clockwork, two eggs. I know now that I've posted this I've probably jinxed myself and will go home to no eggs, but I just can't believe it and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed what my DH and I have started to call the broody boost!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by