Anyone Else Feed Their Ducks Bugs?

DarkWingDuck

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Meville
Since my domesticated ducks don't get to run loose and hunt bugs, I often bring the bugs to them. I keep a few pieces of wood beside my coop and they become filled with pill bugs on a regular basis. I take a piece into the coop, shake the bugs off and the ducks go absolutely love it. After a rain, I'll also catch a bunch of worms and feed them to the ducks (which they love even more). I'm just curious to see if anyone else does this sort of thing.
tongue.png

My ducks are HUGE fans of worms!! They expect them every morning. I read someplace to put solar lights right at the edge of their pen to attract bugs for them. Think I will do that as soon as things warm up! That might save you some work
smile.png

Of course we do. What's a Friday night without watching the chickens and the ducks fight over bugs?
lol.png
Whenever I'm working out in the yard and I find a bug, I don't want it to go the waste. So I toss it into the bird yard. I figure that'll just make the eggs taste better for me.

My ducks are my favorite exterminator plan.... no chemicals which are dangerous to my kids, and full entertainment factor. Just wait until the grasshoppers start, I've never laughed so hard.
Crickets are a fave, and anything that moves.

We have something we call a 'redneck bugwacker' we just hang a small white light in the duck pen low to the ground. of course it attracts insects and the ducks grab them. Sometimes when the bugs are active they will attract tree frogs and watch the ducks have a tug of war after they catch one. much more fun than summer reruns on TV.

my ducks hunt for their own bugs. it rained like crazy and my two little love bugs were scooping up the worms like candy! there were sooo many! they dig in the woodchips we have around the pond and find plenty of bugs. its funny to watch them chase after moths and stuff, they see it flying and you can see their head moving as they are watching and and they go running!

When we dug our pond, I found worms and threw them to the ducks. Now I can't go in the yard without being followed
gig.gif

I also take the rocks that line the flower bed and move them over every once in a while to expose the dirt underneath. Lots of pill bugs for them to munch on
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom