Anyone else get annoyed at how stupid chickens can be

I worked hard building a 12 foot elevated coop for my chicks and pullets, adjacent to the main chicken run, with a covered, secure tunnel to it. The tunnel didn't work out this year, because the adult hens (Amberlinks) in the main run are so aggressive towards the two month old pullets. (very different behavior from the Americana adult hens last year, which were accepting of the pullets). So I built a second ramp to the 12 foot coop, so the pullets could access the yard another way. All 30+ have no trouble going down the ramp and enjoying a day in the yard. But at nightime only about eight go back up the ramp. The others all situate themselves underneath the coop, and would be easy picking by predators. Every night after dark I have to go out and catch them all and put them into the coop, which gets old. Hoping they get a few more brain cells soon!
I keep thinking about this....
Why is there a 'tunnel'?
If you want some help figuring out how to solve this problem, post some pic of your coop, inside and out.

I will second or third what others said.
I went though this last spring where I had to catch 23 chicks and put them inside their coop, closing the door after each one or they would go back outside......and these guys had no ramp. Their coop was sitting on cinder blocks, which were laying the short way.

Then it happened again a couple of months ago with a new batch. The newer ones were better because they were raised by a hen, but do have a ramp going up 2 feet.

Yes chickens are dumb. If they were smart, they would not be pooping into their food and water.
I beg to differ, hens are actually quite intelligent. If they are pooping in their food & water, perhaps their Carer is not positioning the food & water in the most suitable positions?
I stand my girls drinkers on buckets with lids on, & it is extremely rare to find poop in it! Their feeder is suspended from the ceiling in their shed, & they have a treadle feeder out doors. I have not had many occasions when there is poop in feeders! Try to elevate both to make it an ideal height for eating & drinking! Beaks are higher than bums. 👍🏻

Back
Top Bottom