Anyone Else Have a Broody Hen in the Middle of Winter?

I have one in the garage right now on 5 eggs, and one pipped this morning. Hopefully that will break her. I've tried everything with her. She's spent the last two weeks sitting on newspaper in a kennel, won't move unless I stand there and push her around or pick her up (gently) by the tail so she flaps and moves.
hmm.png
I even put her outside for a few hours in one of the outdoor pens in the snow to try and break her, and nothing. So, hopefully when the chicks hatch she's break naturally. I finally just gave up. I had incubated the eggs indoors until they were due to go in the hatcher. I'm just using Georgia as my hatcher.
big_smile.png

I don't think our birds realize what time of year it is. We have had babies hatch every month. November, December, this month (2x) and I will have about 5 hatch next month. The problem is they hatch faster then we can get rid of them!!
lol.png

Three of my bantys are brooding. Iam letting them do their thing.
one lone egg hatched in oct.
a black feathered legged cochin
but she tossed it aside,
so in side the house he came with his own little
corner of the world and doing great, showing a
a brown stripped collar just beautiful.

I have one little serama hen who is broody and she is setting on a few UNAUTHORIZED eggs:lol: Dont know how long she has set on them, my seramas had quit laying but evidently a few hens snuck out some.
smile.png

I had a silkie go broody this week. Was wondering too about letting her hatch some that I have in the incubator. Worried about the winter temps outside. Would sure be easier if she raised them though. lol

Back
Top Bottom