Anyone else have a lap rooster? :)

RockinChick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 27, 2011
Austin/Leander, Tx
Hi everyone....glad to be here!
I love this site!

Chamberlin(10 month old naked-neck-road-red-roo) was crowing a lil loud this evening so I brought him in to post with me!
wink.png

I have 3 children, a wonderful husband, 1 new peep(my first hatch ever), "Chamberlin" a speckled hen, Ginni, young red hen, two dogs, 4 cats and 5 more eggs in the bator!

Well, count me in too. I have a beautiful black silkie roo named Midnight who recently started crowing.....LOUDLY and often! I'm in a residential neighborhood trying not to let anyone know I have chickens. Since I was having no success keeping him quiet, I started bringing him in at night to his own little cage in the middle of the kitchen floor. So now he crows loudly indoors and wakes up my 85 year old mom waaay too early. Now I get up as soon as I hear his first crow, put him under one arm while I clumsily make coffee with my free hand. Then we both sit down at the computer and snuggle for an hour or so. He loves being held and petted, is docile and sweet when I carry him around, and sits calmly on my lap in the mornings. I know I should sell him (He would be worth a goodly sum) but I just love him and I just don't know what to do. So for now, I'm just going to take the extra time, trouble and cleanup and enjoy this magnificent boy.

Quote:
ha ha mine is in the kitchen now! I do the same...
I keep him in a small box. (with big enough holes to look out, but not to put his head out)
He can not stretch his neck out to crow inside the box. He is happy, warm & snug AND QUIET for the night
wink.png

Last edited:
I do not have a lap rooster but I am curious about them.

My Handling Rooster Aggression page includes a link to an article (the #45 link to an imprinting study) discussing issues around animal-human bonding. The article conjectures that animals that bond to humans are more likely to turn their mating and aggression behaviors toward humans.

So I wonder, are your lap roosters still young cockerels or are they mature males doing all the normal rooster behaviors with their flock? Are your lap roosters secondary roosters or alpha roosters in a flock that has more than one? Does your lap rooster ever get aggressive with you?

I am very interested in collecting data that would shed more light on the imprinting study.

Back
Top Bottom