Anyone else have bees in the chicken's feed?

ChicKat

Free Ranging
11 Years
It's warm here, and lately numerous bees (like 15-20 each feeder) are crawling in the chicken's feed. Is this just me? At this moment I'm using the Purina Flock Raiser in the green bag. I can only think that there are no flowers or very few, so something in this feed is attracting the bees.

Anyone else have this, or do I have a new phenomenon? And, Are the bees going to discourage the chickens from consuming what is in the feeder? How do chickens and bees get along together?

Wild birds cleaned out one of the feeders today too, along with contributions from two of my chickens... about a soup can of feed by 5PM. It looks like mostly chipping sparrows & cardinals. No wonder the chickens in that coop have been grouchy lately.

Part of the joys of "winter" I guess.

Thanks if anyone has insights.

It happens sometimes when there are no pollen sources. The bees can mistake the grain dust for pollen and collect it. The grain is so low in protein once you get any sort of flow going the bees should forget about the feed. The bees leave the chickens alone because they are away from their colony. The chickens do not seem to mind the bees and ignore them.

It happens sometimes when there are no pollen sources. The bees can mistake the grain dust for pollen and collect it. The grain is so low in protein once you get any sort of flow going the bees should forget about the feed. The bees leave the chickens alone because they are away from their colony. The chickens do not seem to mind the bees and ignore them.

Thanks so much for the insight. There were no bees today---but very cold and very windy....and right now no sources of 'real' pollen. The chickens didn't seem concerned with the bees, but not eating from the feeder either---so I was wondering if the bees were interfereing with the chickens' eating habits.

San Antonio TX has a great gardening program on weekend mornings. It is Bob Webster and he is so positive it is a pleasure to listen to him. In Saturday's show he was mentioning that bee keepers will put out organic cornmeal for the bees when there are no flowers for them to gather pollen from.

also, I did see my EE snap a bee out of the air and swollow it. ouch.

Thanks for the replys y'all.

Wow, I was JUST thinking about asking this question! Bees in the Flock Raiser here, too - but my birds won't go near the bees, even when they're hungry. Chickens!
lau.gif

I keep a couple bee hives. They are more active with this warmer winter, they'll stay home when it's cold and windy. They are looking for a food source where there is precious little. I think they are also attracted to the color, corn's bright. You'll find them in your compost also. My chickens are too busy lately chasing sparrows to be bothered by bees. I love my bees.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom