Anyone else have midget whites?

Quote:
The Broad Breasted Bronze and Broad Breasted White were bred as a meat turkey like the Cornish Cross Chicken, max growth in shortest time.

The Standard Bronze are a heritage turkey and smaller. They are still large birds our toms are waist high on me.

Steve

That is what I thought, thank you!

How is the meat on the broad breasted bronze? Have you or anyone tried them raised at home?

Quote:
The Broad Breasted Bronze and Broad Breasted White were bred as a meat turkey like the Cornish Cross Chicken, max growth in shortest time.

The Standard Bronze are a heritage turkey and smaller. They are still large birds our toms are waist high on me.

Steve

That is what I thought, thank you!

How is the meat on the broad breasted bronze? Have you or anyone tried them raised at home?

We had Broad Breasted Whites before we got into this whole heritage turkey thing. Gotta say that the meat was better than store bought by far but that may be a psychological thing knowing as we did how the turkeys had been raised.

Quote:
Oh my, thats twice as long as I thought. How much does that cost to raise them that long? That sounds just crazy. My feed cost $19 for a 50 lb bag. I don't want to wait my time and money on meat that is subpar.

I think your feed is about double the normal price. At least a quarter more.

Can you try and find cheaper feed? I don't think you need wild/game bird feed to raise them out on. I gave mine something called "all purpose poultry" in the summer it was 10 dollars a bag now 11 a bag. You can also supplement w/ alfalfa they love it, other fruits and veggies any peelings or scraps give it to the birds etc.

Heritage breeds take longer to get the meat and fat on them.....people that raise them say it takes a year to year and a half before they like to butcher them. If I am hearing right the midget whites don't take as long or the broad breasted bronze.....the later is meant to be a fast raising meat bird. I noticed they are cheaper to buy then the heritage also. Look at some reviews at mcmurrary by people that bought and raised them. Ridiculous weights in shout amount of time. You better butcher them cause either their legs are gonna give out or have a heart attack.

I just found a nest with 9 MW eggs in it, sneaky girls. That are going into the bator tonight.
I have MW's, Slates and Royal Palms and they all follow me around like pups.

Quote:
Oh my, thats twice as long as I thought. How much does that cost to raise them that long? That sounds just crazy. My feed cost $19 for a 50 lb bag. I don't want to wait my time and money on meat that is subpar.

I think your feed is about double the normal price. At least a quarter more.

Can you try and find cheaper feed? I don't think you need wild/game bird feed to raise them out on. I gave mine something called "all purpose poultry" in the summer it was 10 dollars a bag now 11 a bag. You can also supplement w/ alfalfa they love it, other fruits and veggies any peelings or scraps give it to the birds etc.

Heritage breeds take longer to get the meat and fat on them.....people that raise them say it takes a year to year and a half before they like to butcher them. If I am hearing right the midget whites don't take as long or the broad breasted bronze.....the later is meant to be a fast raising meat bird. I noticed they are cheaper to buy then the heritage also. Look at some reviews at mcmurrary by people that bought and raised them. Ridiculous weights in shout amount of time. You better butcher them cause either their legs are gonna give out or have a heart attack.

I bought a bag of scratch last week to cut down of feed cost. I mixed some into there normal feed. But even scratch is $12 a 50 lb bag. It is crazy here what they charge for grain. I ask if they have All Purpose feed.

I ordered MWs from Welp in April and also some Narragansett. I had planned on keeping a pair of each for breeding then selling or butchering the extras but the stock that I got from welp, all the Narragansetts and MWs are pretty much the same size. I am now down to a Narragansett pair and 3 MW toms that will get butchered. The Narragansett tom is a bit taller than the MWs but they're body sizes are identical. So I am keeping the Narragansetts to breed since I prefer the color.

Hi, i'm getting some midget white eggs and was told that I need to hatch some chicks with them to help teach them to eat and drink. I read that the turks need high protein. So how will this effect the chicks that are eating the same food?

Back
Top Bottom