anyone else having egg production problems

littlenet

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 16, 2011
This is my first winter with chickens. It turned cold at christmas, has even snowed. Its been ranging from 20-50 degrees for the high since christmas. I have about 100 chickens. I was getting from 50-60 eggs a day and then they went to 30 for a couple days then in the teens for a couple days and none since. I did decrease their feed by half because I was told that I was feeding too much. Is it because of the cold or decreasing the feed? would love some input on what the problem could be. I don't want to have to buy eggs and in another week I will if they don't start laying. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Welcome from eastern wa. They need 12/14 hrs of light per day to lay productivly. I am not sure of the feed issue or temps having anything to do with it.

we have had 2 dozen + free loaders thinkin they are on vacation since about October... then hubby put an incandescent light on a timer thats on for 16 hours a day and we have egg production now.

we had a compact florescent in there before with no results... I dont know if its just coincidental that when we switched there was an increase in production

They do burn off more fat in the winter to stay warm so you may want to bump the feed a little. Most folks put a light on a timer to extend the amount of light they get.

welcome-byc.gif

Cold temps and short days can slow down egg laying. They could also be molting. If they are not getting enough of the right food they can also stop laying. How much are you feeding them now?

I have a question about the light. Do you have it come on in the evening or in the morning? I've had to buy eggs since before Christmas and they just don't taste good.
sad.png

Quote:
somad.gif
Me too!! Until today. I got one egg. The first one in almost 3 months
barnie.gif
I'm still not convinced someone didn't slip a store bought egg in there as a joke
idunno.gif

I've never heard of the concept of feeding to much feed. Standard of practice on here is that food be available at all times while they are awake. What is the protein content of your feed?

I've had to buy eggs a few times this winter because most of my flock is about 3 years old and they were molting. I added light a few days ago because the molt was over. No results yet. I suspect the cold stresses them enough to slow down laying, just as heat will in this climate. A food article on the subject:

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/html/pnw/pnw565/

Back
Top Bottom