Anyone else live in a county with a chickens-per-acre limit?

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Songster
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Rogue Valley, S. Oregon
I am just wondering how common this is. I live in Jackson county, Oregon and our county-wide livestock laws assign fractions of acres to 'farm' animals and will not allow you to go over the number of acres you have... unless you have 2 or more acres and then, I guess, anything goes.
For example, 20 chickens make up 1 acre, and so do 3 goats. I am buying a 1.2 acre plot and cannot move my 16 chickens there with me AND get a goat because if even one hen hatches one chick, I will be over my limit.
I understand the reasonable limitation of livestock. I really do. But why do goats and chickens count against eachother when they can so easily co-habitate? I really just want ONE goat (and a few more chickens, but don't we all!) and I know lots of people keep grazers and chickens together.
It just seems like there is so much they aren't allowing for such as the size of the chickens and the size of the area actually available to the chickens. Banties should take less space than standards, and if you are going to have a chicken-per-acre limit, shouldn't it be a floorspace thing? If I let my chickens roam over a whole acre, fine. But if I have an acre of land but fence them into 1/8th, or 1/10th, well to me, that means less chickens allowed on the same plot of land.
Am I just being to logical about this? I plan to let the chickens have at least 1/2 acre (we have not decided how many fences we are taking out or moving, nor have we measured the pasture area) and that seems to me plenty of space for 16 chickens and a goat. Even when we had 10 more chickens, they barely roamed 3/4 of the acre we lived on before. A few were adventurous, but most stayed pretty close to the coop/food shed.
so how do other places regulate chicken-keeping?

I am just wondering how common this is. I live in Jackson county, Oregon and our county-wide livestock laws assign fractions of acres to 'farm' animals and will not allow you to go over the number of acres you have... unless you have 2 or more acres and then, I guess, anything goes.
For example, 20 chickens make up 1 acre, and so do 3 goats. I am buying a 1.2 acre plot and cannot move my 16 chickens there with me AND get a goat because if even one hen hatches one chick, I will be over my limit.
I understand the reasonable limitation of livestock. I really do. But why do goats and chickens count against eachother when they can so easily co-habitate? I really just want ONE goat (and a few more chickens, but don't we all!) and I know lots of people keep grazers and chickens together.
It just seems like there is so much they aren't allowing for such as the size of the chickens and the size of the area actually available to the chickens. Banties should take less space than standards, and if you are going to have a chicken-per-acre limit, shouldn't it be a floorspace thing? If I let my chickens roam over a whole acre, fine. But if I have an acre of land but fence them into 1/8th, or 1/10th, well to me, that means less chickens allowed on the same plot of land.
Am I just being to logical about this? I plan to let the chickens have at least 1/2 acre (we have not decided how many fences we are taking out or moving, nor have we measured the pasture area) and that seems to me plenty of space for 16 chickens and a goat. Even when we had 10 more chickens, they barely roamed 3/4 of the acre we lived on before. A few were adventurous, but most stayed pretty close to the coop/food shed.
so how do other places regulate chicken-keeping?
I also live in Jackson County, Oregon. Please tell me where you were able to find this information.

I don't know about county, where I'm at our CITY has rules for this... you're in violation IF...

A. Keeps or maintains more than four (4) fowl on one-half (1/2) acre or less or at a distance closer than fifty feet (50') from any habitation located on another's property; or

B. Keeps or maintains more than ten (10) fowl on more than one-half (1/2) acre but less than one (1) acre at a distance closer than fifty feet (50') from any habitation located on another's property.

C. Keeps or maintains twenty-five (25) fowl or more on one (1) acre or more at a distance closer than fifty feet (50’) from any habitation located on another’s property.

Among other things, but this is the bit you prolly wanted to know about. Bummer huh?

A. is the reason I've delayed so far... we fit the size, but I'm pretty sure that even if I butted a coop right against the back of our house we'd still be within 50' of one of our neighbors. *sigh* I called Animal Control to see if I was reading things right "All I know is that you can have four" didn't have a clue about distance limits. Isn't that helpful.
hmm.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure how Jackson county works things out, or if they just don't crack down on it much. The people next door to the new place we're buying (in Jackson county) have 2 donkeys, 3 goats, AND 2 pigs. They have two acres, so they could be allowed the two donkeys (one per acre), OR one of the donkeys and the 3 goats, but either way, they aren't supposed to have the pigs. They are pot-bellied pigs but it only says swine, and that the minimum lot size to have pigs is 5 acres and then only one pig per acre. I don't think I'd worry about having one goat and your chickens, even if you do hatch a chick or two. You could sell a chick or two if they do give you hassles.

My city has a limit of 10 birds for 1/2 acre or less, an acre gets you 20 birds. Here you get non-poultry livestock based on a 'point' system that I don't remember the details of, because I don't have enough property for it to affect me. Poultry doesn't figure into the point system.

Personally, as long as you don't have 20 roosters, I don't think anyone will notice or complain if you have slightly more chickens than you are supposed to, and if someone does complain you can always sell some hens.

My city ROCKS!!! Any lot over 10,000 sq feet may have up to 300 poultry, of which thirteen may be roosters. They have to be fed and watered 35 feet from any neighbor's house. Norco, California, BABY!!!

Back
Top Bottom