Anyone else second guess and feel decisive about euthanasia?

Quarterhorses1

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Jan 18, 2022
Hi, I have a hand named Bluie that’s been sick with water belly due to liver disease for about three weeks now. I took her to the vet after one week, he drained her belly and did x-rays and proved my ideas correct. She looked very poorly, so I decided to have her put down a week and a half after her appointment, two days before her appointment time, she began to look a bit better so I decided to let her bond with her friends just a little bit longer before it was her time to go. She has lost all of her body weight, comb is a bit purpleish in color, she’s not eating, and is a bit lethargic. Unfortunately I have decided to have her put down at 5 o’clock tomorrow, but I’m starting to feel like I’m not making the right decision, as she still has enough gumption to eat an egg and look happy. Has anybody else ever felt this? Should I follow through?

I thought ours had EYP but instead was full of ovarian cysts/cancer. I wish I would have culled sooner. She was in a lot of pain. Unfortunately with chickens they don’t show they’re weak for a while. Even if she has the gumption to eat she is suffering. The most humane thing you can do for her is to end her suffering. I had left the decision up to my 9 year old since it was his hen. He felt relief after the fact because he realized just how bad off she was. We tend to let our pets hold on longer than we should. Know you cared for her and gave her the best life possible.

I thought ours had EYP but instead was full of ovarian cysts/cancer. I wish I would have culled sooner. She was in a lot of pain. Unfortunately with chickens they don’t show they’re weak for a while. Even if she has the gumption to eat she is suffering. The most humane thing you can do for her is to end her suffering. I had left the decision up to my 9 year old since it was his hen. He felt relief after the fact because he realized just how bad off she was. We tend to let our pets hold on longer than we should. Know you cared for her and gave her the best life possible.
Thank you , I do appreciate it. She just looks so happy and alert but she has no meat left 😭 it’s so hard

Thank you , I do appreciate it. She just looks so happy and alert but she has no meat left 😭 it’s so hard
The keel bone was almost poking through the skin on ours. Comb has shriveled significantly and lost brightness. She was foraging and seemed happy but I realized her crop was mostly empty. Some days she was extremely lethargic and others you could barely tell. It is a hard choice to make. I’m sorry for your pending loss.

The keel bone was almost poking through the skin on ours. Comb has shriveled significantly and lost brightness. She was foraging and seemed happy but I realized her crop was mostly empty. Some days she was extremely lethargic and others you could barely tell. It is a hard choice to make. I’m sorry for your pending loss.
Mine is the same way. I’m going to follow through. Thank you

I had trouble putting my dog down a few weeks ago because every time we scheduled the appointment he seemed better again. When he was feeling bad, it was really, really bad. I couldn't do enough to help him stop shaking in pain. He was a challenge to keep medicated, even the vet and staff agreed they hadn't had so much trouble before. But we worked on it every day until he had his dose, and then I had to double his dose. The night before his morning appointment to be put down, he felt better again. He slept peacefully for a change cuddled next to me all night, had a big juicy breakfast of his favorite meats, and ran around outside. When we got to the vets office he was so excited to sniff and bounce around in the grass outside, wagging his tail at the other dogs. It was heart-rending to go ahead with the appointment, but I kept reminding myself of how inconsolable he was most days.
I really don't know if he could have had more good days, but I do know if he had more bad days because of my wish to hold on to him, that would have been my fault.

Sorry, this is probably no help at all.

Euthanasia is such a hard decision. I'm really sorry you are going through this. It sounds like, though, her "better" days are still awful.

It's tempting to compare their lowest points and their not-so-low points, and *want* to believe that means they will keep improving. But we have to take a step back and look at their actual quality of life. And there isn't a chart to consult or percentages to look at, but if overall their life is of pain and suffering, and they aren't able to, for lack of better terms, be a chicken and *enjoy* being a chicken, then euthanasia in my opinion is usually the better option.

Not easier, by any means. But better.

It sounds like you are being a good chicken parent, and that she has lived a fantastic life with you, and she has been loved. Hugs if you want them, but it sounds like letting her go peacefully will be a mercy to her.

It is called animal husbandry. We have to think as the head of household, and the father and make hard decisions. My husband wants to give more reprieve than I do.

I don't waste time or money on "Poor Baby", they're gone.
This isn't helpful. Plenty of us do "waste" as you say, time and money on chickens because we become attached to them.

Just because you don't doesn't mean no one else does.

OP has lost an animal they were attached to. I think a little more empathetic of a response is the least we can all do.

Back
Top Bottom