1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone else watching Gold Rush?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Randy, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    Can't wait to see what those knuckle heads screw up next. LOL

2. Welsummer Rancher

Welsummer Rancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Longview, Texas
    This show should have been called "Idiots Going Broke". Epic FAIL.

3. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Todd is a bully.
    I like Ice Pilots but then again I know the owner of Buffalo Airways [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I am following it, with amazement. Nuthin' like watching a train wreck slowly happen.

These people don't have the charm of the fishermen on Deadliest Catch. Not by a long shot. There's not a Sid nor a Phil amongst them.

5. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    My husband likes it his new favorite show bout had a fight tonight. To many things recording and his this show was not going. [​IMG]

6. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I watch it because it is filmed where I grew up. My dad used to pan gold on Porcupine Creek. He had a couple of vials full. I don't know what happened to it; but considering the price of gold now, it would be worth quite a bit. It was about as much as those guys got in their first clean out. I'm also notorious in my family for a childhood incident involving a vial of gold dust. We can been making Christmas cookies, and decorating them, I saw the vial of gold, thought it was Christmas cookie sprinkles and ate it.

I can't believe those people let an idiot like Dorsey do such crucial work. It didn't seem like he brought any skills to the table. If this whole gold mining thing was easy, more people would be doing it. I think many people from the lower 48 have absolutely no clue about what life will really be like in Alaska. The whole driving to Whitehorse for supplies was probably a shock to these guys. Who would have thought it would take two international border crossings to get what they needed.

I'm going to post a link to the town of Haines, because they simply don't show enough of the scenery around town. It is literally one of the most beautiful places I've ever been and I've traveled in much of the US, part of Europe and in South America.

And if anyone wants to read a great book about life in small town Alaska, Heather Lende's If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name is wonderful, and is about Haines.

http://www.haines.ak.us/

http://hainesak.com/

7. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    It would have been a far better show if they had actually worked with real miners that knew what they were doing. More interesting characters, too.

8. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    Quote:yes..but they are rolling in the cash now after the proceeds from the stupid show..

9. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    My husband applauds them for taking the risks and trying to do something new....unlike some people who sit around dreaming about.

10. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Quote:I have to give them credit for that...but it's people like that going off half-cocked that put others at risk. Alaska has a long history of inexperienced cheechakos "going for it" and costing lives, either their own or their rescuers'. There are lots of right ways to go about these things, doing everything wrong just makes everyone look bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by