Anyone ever buy MARTH brand wood shavings???

Quote:
Thanks Vicky, the coop out back is empty and has been all winter. I used to get dejnos in Isanti for about $6 a bag I think I'll go back to them. I used these shavings in the basement for the seramas as well as all over the garage. SO not only are they all over in the garage they are in my house. The indoor pens won't be so bad to clean up but the garage would take a few days to completely gut it. Most of the bedding in there is straw mixed with shavings and has been in there allll winter. I was trying to avoid wasting the pine shavings but I think I'll just cut my losses and get that stuff out of there IF these bug strips as mentioned before don't work. The birds aren't bothered with these bugs because they don't bite or suck they are just there to them. Guess what I am doing this weekend??? UFFDAH

OMG! I just came on to look up lice because DH found some in the nest box today. I'm sure it's the same thing you have. Fast little red or brown guys all over. Guess what kind of shavings we use...didn't even think about that being the problem. I took absolutely everything out of the coop, scrubbed with bleachy soapy water, let it dry, and put mixed sevin dust with the shavings and rubbed it on the girls. We'll have to compost the eggs for awhile from the chemicals. I'm definitely not using the rest of the bag.

Ohhh noooo! NRacine I'd take the rest of the bag back, the more people having issues with these shavings the better the chances are of the company actually doing something about it. The guy from marth told me I was the first case he had heard about. They didn't do a darn thing for me because I threw away the bags with the tracking number on them but FLeet Farm did refund me for some of them only because I dug up a few receipts for them. I also found out (family member works for FF) they had to send a bunch of sunflower seeds back to manufacturer because of a bug infestation too!

I know this is a chicken forum...but I was searching for more information about Marth wood products and came across these postings.

We purchased five ducklings a few weeks ago. I clean their pen every day and provide fresh water and food several times a day. They were all doing great. We ran out of wood shavings yesterday and went to Fleet Farm (never bought wood shavings there before). Not knowing anything about Marth, I bought a bad of their wood shavings.

Got home last night and watered, fed and bedded the ducklings down in their freshly cleaned area with plenty of Marth wood shavings to absorb the mess they make and help them stay nice and dry. First thing this morning when I went to get them fresh water and food, our largest, most active and seemingly healthiest duckling was dead. We are so sad.

Since the only change in their environment had been the mulch, I immediately felt bad and thought maybe I bought the wrong kind (I know cedar is a no-no). I know sudden deaths in ducklings can happen... but it seems a strange coincidence.

Then, after reading these posts (I also got mine from FF in Blaine) I thoroughly checked the bag that I have and could not find any bugs. Nonetheless, I am absolutely creeped out...and now itch all over. UGH. Is there anyway you can "miss" seeing these bugs?

Most importantly - could the wood shavings have caused our ducklings death? Any recommendations for a new brand of wood shavings and where I can get them?

Back
Top Bottom