Anyone ever done this?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eventmerlin, Jan 5, 2010.

1. eventmerlin

eventmerlin Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2009
    Massachusetts
    So I'm trying to think of some ways to help cover the costs of my chicken addiction [​IMG] Has anyone ever sold chicks around easter? I know every one is going to blast me on this but I am interested in doing it with a twist. I always hate it when parents buy thier children a chick or baby bunny and then 2 weeks later they stop taking care of it and it dies or they try to pawn it off on a neighbor or family member who doesn't really want it. Well I was thinking about selling 2 chicks to those interested so they would be company for each other (and warmer), enough chick starter for a week and then advertise it with the idea that the people bring back the chicks so the chicks can grow up to be a laying hen at my farm. Then they can get a dozen fresh eggs after 6 months from "their" hen.

I am mainly worried about the chicks #1 dying from no heat lamp and #2 the child squeezing them to death.

I figured this would be a way for a parent to give thier child a chick for easter, but then a couple days later the chicks would be back and in a good home...and then a few months later the child gets to see it's chicks grown up and laying eggs [​IMG]

Please give me the pluses or minuses of these ideas....and they are just that...an IDEA....

2. Brahmafan

Brahmafan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2009
    Gray, Ga.
    Sounds like it has potential. I think people will come back and buy eggs from you after the first dozen. Hope your day has been warmer than mine.

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    I really don't think that would work.Kids wouldn't want to give up the chick after a few days. We sell chicks all year and sell Easter chicks as well..it's no different than any other week.We get calls and e-mails all the time from those that are clueless and we don't sell them a chick or a chicken.Ask questions lots of questions if need be but once the chick leaves it's out of your control.Also,what if they have another chicken on the property etc the problems you could bring back to your farm are endless.
    You would also have to buy lots of brooder supplies to supply everyone with what they need for just a few days.Just chick food wouldn't be enough to keep them alive and safe.
    My kids handle our chicks right out of the bator and have only killed one by accident...several hundred chicks played with.We loose more from things out of our control than the kids for sure. as a parent of 3 I find little value in the kids killing them thing..plus they could do the same thing while chick sitting for you.
    Sell the chick no strings attached with a buy back option if they decide chick ownership isn't for them within a certain amount of time...still a risky thing to do with your flock.

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I do not sell chicks for 10 days before easter and 4 days after.

The problem with your idea is what would be brought in with the returned chicks. I am talking disease and sickness. I would think that this idea would be a little risky.

Matt

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  5. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    That reminds me of this little kid that used to live across the street from us. His parents apparently got thier kids baby chicks for Easter. I was outside and looked across the street and this kid had tied a string on the poor chick and was spinning around trying to fly it like an airplane! He was about 4 yrs old. His parents weren't even watching him with the chicks. So that is why I think it is a bad idea for little kids to get stuff like that for Easter or any Holiday. They think of them as toys. Older kids might be better.

6. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    There are at least 2 such operations in my area & it appears to work. They get quite a bit of money ($40?) for the people to rent the chicks for 2 weeks and then they return them. There have been several articles in the Reading Eagle over the last several years about them, don't remember the exact amount & what they give with the chicks. I would think also some will not live. I say give it a try if you want.

7. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

A.) Animals should NOT be subjected to being shuffled around for a few Easter kicks with rambunctious kids who have the attention span of a flea.

B.) Doesn't anyone think of biosecurity anymore? IF they were to be taken away, then returned, you are risking your entire flock being infected with any one of numerous diseases.

8. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    I think you could only get away with it if you had an entire different spot to keep the returned chicks. That way if they did come back with something then you could keep it away from your original flock.

I think a better/safe idea for your flock would be to advertise around and on Easter to let people come and pick out a chick that will stay at your house and then in 6 months they could come back and get eggs from there chicken.
    So my idea would work like this:
    1. Let them pick out a chick
    2. Have a certificate already made that they can fill out with the chickens name, breed, and new parents
    3. Put some kind of band on the chickens leg so they get a visual to which chicken is theirs
    4. On the certificate put something to the effect of what age they should start laying so they can come back to get eggs from there chicken.
    5. Have a camera ready and take a picture of the chick so they can take a picture home with them of there chick. You could also add a pic of what the chicken will grow up to look like (if you know, if you have a mixed flock then that might be hard)
    6. Make sure you get there name and number/address so you can get a hold of them a let them know about there chicken, and give them yours.

I think if you make it fun and look nice then people might actualy want to do something like this. I know it isn't the exact same thing you are thinking but it could bring you in some money. You would only have to by a pack of "certificate" paper from the store and print out the certificates. This all might take some more planning and depending on your area the amount of bussiness you will get. Since you are already thinking about having people come to your coop/home take the chick then return the chick, I figure you might be able to cut out the entire middle part and just keep the chicks with you. If someone does actualy want a chick and has the brooder at home to take care of the chick then sell them two but I would be careful. You really don't want to have your flock catch anything from someone elses place.

I think most kids are great with animals. It is all about how the parents raise and supervise there children. Mom of two with all kinds of animals. [​IMG]

9. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    The dead and stray and dumped animal rate for holiday purchased animals is staggering. We're post christmas now and the christmas puppies, kittens, birds are ending up in shelters and on craigslist, being dumped stray and resold. Many are killed outright by children, poor handling, inexperienced owners of all kinds. Post Easter it's bunnies, chicks, ducklings, some geese. I work at shelters. A living thing should not be a gift on a holiday, the stresses and excitement alone, of a holiday is not good for introductions to a new family member, species or baby thing that needs focus and care.

If you want to sell chicks for "easter", sell 3-4, for the actual holiday, sell the parents a book on care, feeding, shelter and requirements with a few of cute photos of "their chicks". Let the family study up and get set up and let that HOLIDAY pass. The book, photos, stuffed chicks and the easter basket can all fill the holiday need. After the Holiday, then they can come pick up their chicks. That way YOU know it's not an impulse, that they KNOW what the chicks need and are set up to do so.

If you plan on taking chicks or chickens back you WILL need a separate quarantine area for returns or you risk your entire flock with every chick returned. 30 days minimum.

10. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    I don't think biosecurity would be such a huge threat. 99% of the chicks would be going to households that didn't already have chickens, and therefore, no chicken diseases. If they already had chickens, getting chicks for Easter wouldn't be such a big deal, so most of the participants would be chickenless. I think a bigger threat would be getting chicks returned with sticky down, a belly full of marshmallows, and the name "Sponge Bob" scribbled on their backs with a Sharpie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by