Anyone ever get eggs mixed up?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenfeverforever, May 8, 2011.

1. chickenfeverforever

chickenfeverforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    I have 4-5 different hatch dates and I keep a note pad on my computer but I have moved some eggs around and now......I have some mixed up. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Ya think? Now I write on each egg or if I am doing a batch of one kind, I lable just a couple of them, with the due hatch date..
    just write 5 over for May 28th. then I arrange them so that I can
    read them without opening the door..

I do not mix the batches with other batches.. each batch has it's own egg tray..

3. Hi! I've done that before so I write the 'set date' on the egg with a Sharpie.
    Can you candle the eggs and match up the ones with the same 'set date' by their development?
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I write the date they go in the bator on the egg in pencil....haven't lost one since [​IMG]

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Yup, write on them with pencil. I use batch # (for the year, batch 1, batch 2, etc), egg number, and date into the incubator.

6. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I started out writing the set date.. but I quit doing that.. it required calculation every time.. Now I just write either the due date,,, or the date they are supposed to go into lockdown.. less head work... I also write one or two letters ,sometimes, if needed to identify who's egg it is or what kind.. B for Brian, or A for Americauna.. etc...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by