Anyone ever had problems with ducks eating their own eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Denninmi, May 19, 2011.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Just curious. I'm constantly reading the "help, I have an egg eating chicken" threads on the Eggs forum board.

It just occurred to me, I've never known any ducks to exhibit this behavior. Never ever. I've had chickens over the years that have been egg eaters, though.

I think it may be related to the size, shape, and purpose of the bill. The duck's bill was designed more as a filter to strain small food particles out of mud and water than as a pecking bill to break apart larger objects and find food hidden within.

So, do ducks ever have egg eating issues?

If not, or if it's really rare, I wonder why more people don't raise ducks for egg production. I just ordered my Golden 300 hybrids, and am so looking forward to more duck eggs. Maybe we need to enlighten the chicken people? Or, have I just been lucky?

2. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    I have never heard of a Duck eating her own eggs I have to say that. I have heard of them stealing each others eggs and trying to hatch them though, [​IMG]

I am all for the idea of just duck eggs, duck eggs rock...Maybe the reason people use chicken eggs more is because chickens will lay year round while ducks are more seasonal layers(just my experience, I may be a little off on this one) or maybe its true and the chicken guys have yet to be enlightened [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by