Anyone ever litter train kittens??

I never had to litter train kittens. They just started using the litterbox on their own.
Yes, especially if mom is still in the picture..it's barely even training with kittens ((I've had a few in my day), but with mom there, you shouldn't have to do anything but be patient and keep them confined to an area where you can keep the mess under control (mama cat should be doing a lot of this).

Okay so litter training was a success and i have all kittens using the litter box now!

Next thing i’m struggling with is weaning the kittens from mom. So the dilemma is, all the kittens and mom are in quarantine in a room in my house. Anytime i put food or kitten formula in a shallow dish, mom cat automatically thinks it’s for her. If i turn my back for 2 seconds it’s all gone. I can not let mom cat out of the room because they are still in quarantine. Does anyone have any solutions or thoughts of what i should do?
Leave them be. Mama cat will wean them herself. With most animals, but cats especially, less human interaction is usually better.

Leave them be. Mama cat will wean them herself. With most animals, but cats especially, less human interaction is usually better.
I can’t really do that because mom cat just got prescribed on a dewormer that hasn’t been tested on nursing cats

I would call and ask the vet what the best course of action is.
They only have one type of dewormer that kills tapeworm. She said i can either wait until the kittens are completely done nursing or i can take the risk and give it to her while she’s still nursing.

They only have one type of dewormer that kills tapeworm. She said i can either wait until the kittens are completely done nursing or i can take the risk and give it to her while she’s still nursing.
Did you ask about separating them from mama and what to do? Did you ask what the risks are if you give her the dewormer while nursing? Also, what are the risks to mom to wait a couple of weeks until the kittens wean or are old enough to be separated without supplemental formula?

Did you ask about separating them from mama and what to do? Did you ask what the risks are if you give her the dewormer while nursing? Also, what are the risks to mom to wait a couple of weeks until the kittens wean or are old enough to be separated without supplemental formula?
I don’t have to necessarily separate them, I have to start weaning them onto canned kitten food. They don’t know what the risks are because it hasn’t been clinically approved for nursing cats. The kittens are nearly 5 weeks old, i can start transitioning them to canned food/supplemented formula

I don’t have to necessarily separate them, I have to start weaning them onto canned kitten food. They don’t know what the risks are because it hasn’t been clinically approved for nursing cats. The kittens are nearly 5 weeks old, i can start transitioning them to canned food/supplemented formula
They're not going to completely stop nursing unless you separate them or mama cat refuses them. She's not doing that, and eating the food you put in, because they aren't ready to wean. There are only two ways to wean: separate them or mama cat decides.

They're not going to completely stop nursing unless you separate them or mama cat refuses them. She's not doing that, and eating the food you put in, because they aren't ready to wean. There are only two ways to wean: separate them or mama cat decides.
as i said i have no choice. it’s either have mom cat have worms that could be deadly to her if she keeps having them. She’s eating the food because she was an outdoor cat that isn’t used to having food out all the time, and one kitten is ready to wean, she has been licking up formula i put in a bowl. Now back to my original question about how to start weaning them, because that’s the advice i need right now.

Back
Top Bottom