Anyone ever order from My Pet Chicken?

ThePolishPrincess

Songster
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Orange County, New York
http://www.mypetchicken.com/Day_Old_Baby_Chicks-Baby_Chicks___Available_Breeds_for_2009-P212.aspx

I was browsing online and came across the My Pet Chicken website. I saw that in Feb they are selling a minimum of three birds to some areas! Our coop can't hold very many birds but I thought I'd look into it. At the bottom of the page, it says that if you're more than thrirty minutes away from a major city (we are) then eight chicks are the minimum. That's still great! Much better than twenty five! And I've already considered them not making it-we'll be sure to give it a go, anyway.

The best part is that it's about 3 months until the fair, which means one month in the brooder, half a month in a separate pen, and the rest with protective saddles on. I'd be able to show my fowl in good condition. I know what is said, 'Hatchary bought chicks ARE NOT good show fowl,' but look, my choices are limited now.

I've decided on some Polish fowl, (who would I be without them?) at least one Easter Egger, and one Appenzeller so far. You MUST look these birds up. Absoloutely gorgeous.

http://www.spitskuifkriel.nl/foto/kleur zilverzwartgeloverd hen.jpg

Can you say Cruella De Vil? No?

My question: Unless I'm looking right through it, I don't see where it says 'these fowl are striaght run' or 'only bantams are straight run.' It worries me because even though I'm ordering all standard sized chickens, they all NEED to be females. Our flock already has three roos and ten hens.

Eight more chickens would give us twenty one more birds! That's a lot more than we've had in a long time. And our ratio would be much better. Anyone who's ever ordered: what's the deal here?

Thanks everyone!

P.S.-Sorry if this is in the wrong section!

I've ordered from MPC. You can order all pullets of both standards and bantams. All my chicks were correctly sexed. They're cute sweeties but I don't know if they are show quality.

edited to add: They also sent me one extra, but I had one chick die so I ordered 5 and ended up with 5.

Last edited:
MyPetChicken allows you yo select by gender what birds you would like ordering opens in February.

Also, one caveat, although the bird in the picture is very nice looking, being a hatchery, you may not get one of that high quality.

Thank you both. This is very exciting!
ep.gif
I was expecting bantams in only straight run, as most hatcharies tend to do that. Even though all of my choices are standard, it's a nice surprise!
ya.gif

Haha, thanks Andy! I'm know that, just an example. I'm not expecting very much, but a bird is a bird. I'm also not expecting to win anything in the fair, just showing for the heck of it.

I am considering ordering from them this year. I dont want to order a large amount of chicks and then have to rehome them. And I only have space for two banties and one more standard. And all have to be hens

I ordered 9 Buckeyes from MPC last August. All arrived safe, on time and in excellent condition. I ordered 1 roo and 8 hens. 1 hen was missexed and one hen doesn't appear up to standard. I would buy from them again if I wanted more or a more local buckeye breeder couldn't help improve the flock.

big_smile.png

I got 3 hens from MPC last July. I have to have a tiny flock because I am not even supposed to have chickens in my town. Although a bit pricey, all arrived healthy. They started laying last month. All of them are doing great. The only disappointment was my EE lays pinkish eggs as I was hoping for the greenish. Luck of the draw. She is a beautiful hen. Her personality is so sweet I would'nt care if she laid eggs or not.

Back
Top Bottom