anyone ever try anything like this?

FnWeirdo

Songster
Sep 6, 2018
u.p. mi
compost water heater

wheelie_bin_hot-water.jpg

i was thinking about running some pipe with water nipple in a few places in the coop. was thinking could put coop waste to use to heat the water and maybe even have a few heated low to ground perches.
from what i read the above set up should take about a week to start cooking and should maintain a steady heat for around 3 weeks then would taper off. of course would have to make sure that its not scalding at drink points and perches. i like the idea of useing my winter waste to create some beautiful compost. next year planning on building some green houses as well and was thinking trying a mobile small scale would prepare me for heating a greenhouse.

if anyone has experience with compost heating would love to hear some real life practical info and " thoughts on the process" so to speak

i should add that with the above picture you don't turn the compost in this method according to what I've read

I haven’t done anything like heating water but that is exactly how I set up my compost bins except for the news paper. I do have a long thermometer I use and the temp gets to 160 degrees.

do you turn yours or just aerate it with the pvc? and yah i read about 145 which makes sense without having to warm up water it would get up that high

do you turn yours or just aerate it with the pvc? and yah i read about 145 which makes sense without having to warm up water it would get up that high
Once it gets that hot witch is between 1 and 2 weeks I start turning it. I also add one more layer or layers. I go to a couple of grocery stores and ask for there old produce. I chop that up and include that as another layer.

This is what my little first hand experience with hot compost,
and reading about many others' attempts, taught me:

-It won't stay hot unless you turn it...specially in da u p winter.
-You'll need more mass/volume to even get it heated up for a few days let alone 3 weeks.
-As you circulate the 'hot' water to where you need it, it will lose heat quickly.

Did wherever you got that pretty pic(got a link?) tell you how to circulate the water?

Here the only successful 'compost heated waterer' for chickens I've ever seen:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/alternate-method-to-prevent-water-freezing.73180/

This is what my little first hand experience with hot compost,
and reading about many others' attempts, taught me:

-It won't stay hot unless you turn it...specially in da u p winter.
-You'll need more mass/volume to even get it heated up for a few days let alone 3 weeks.
-As you circulate the 'hot' water to where you need it, it will lose heat quickly.

Did wherever you got that pretty pic(got a link?) tell you how to circulate the water?

Here the only successful 'compost heated waterer' for chickens I've ever seen:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/alternate-method-to-prevent-water-freezing.73180/

the coldness up here i was definitely worried about. i only saved the pic not the link but i believe it does come up in google search if you search pic title.

i was very skeptical of the " no turn" hense why I'm asking on a forum that is for the specific purpose I'm looking to use it.

I'm looking to use the concept to give me compost for my green houses i will build, heat those green houses and to heat my chicken coops water. as i plan on building multiple green houses and coops next to those green houses.

i have little experience on compost but using its energy highly appeals to my recent life of trying to be self reliant. it seems a great synergy. i need the compost and chickens provide chicken poop while they provide me with eggs. that i sell. green houses provide feed for animals and household as well as food for the compost pile.

i figured a small mobile set up would allow me to play around and feel out the process in order to apply it on a bigger scale in future years
was thinking that maybee welding together some metal in the shape of a dumpster parking it next to the green house 2 bin style.

or maybe burying a metal garabage can.

Last edited:
i was very skeptical of the " no turn" hense why I'm asking on a forum that is for the specific purpose I'm looking to use it.
Composting is tricky to do well...both a science and an art.
A balance of materials, air, water, and turning.

You might find something/someone in the BYC gardening forum here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/gardening.16176/

This guy has a good truly composting deep litter set up:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/disposing-of-old-shavings.1201566/page-2#post-19035555

There was a video posted recently about composting deep litter in a chicken coop that was very good. Can't find it now, think it was in an old thread...and it was in Guatemala, so not a good climate match.

Back
Top Bottom