Anyone ever try these open concept nest "boxes"?

VinnyVincent

Chirping
May 4, 2020
SE Texas
I've been hired to build a coop for someone, and I was thinking of buying pre-made boxes to save them on my not-so-cheap labor. These were a good price and seem to have decent reviews, but I can't see how these would really perform very well with them being open like that. I know reviews are often fake these days, so I thought I'd try to get some feedback on here.

71Mhi1XIY7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I'll include a couple of links that might help you. You may be surprised at some of the things we've used as nests.

Nest boxes

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/41108/show-us-your-nest-boxes-ingenous-design-post-it-here/220

Nest Boxes

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/4...-your-creative-nesting-boxes/80#post_12395882

I have no experience with those specific nests. Dad's nests were totally open, I built mine covered. But I did use a cat litter bucket once, top only 7-12" x 11-1/2", which worked great for laying but did not work when a hen hatched eggs in it. The opening was too small to keep the chickens in.

People have a lot of personal preference on the subject of nests. Many people are convinced that their way is the "best" way, but they often don't agree with other people. As I often say, people tend to care about this type of thing a lot more than the chicken do.

I appreciate your integrity and professionalism in asking. I don't know why those nests won't work as long as the chickens can't poop in them from roosts or higher spots. That's one real issue with open top nests. With some designs the chickens may perch or sleep on the dividers or sides of the nests themselves.

If you look through those threads you may find some other ideas of something that is really easy to do. Good luck!

They could be great. Depending on the design of the coop, these could set inside an external nest box, where they could be removed and cleaned as needed. They could be on or close to floor of coop, but underneath the poop board, giving them too cover and some privacy.

Would be curious to see the coop you are going to fit these into.

Sorry for the delay, I went on vacation and have been away for a while. Here are some pics of the coop so far. After taking these pics, I added a watering pipe that collects rainwater, and a feeder.
I opted to build my own egg box in the end. It's a rollout box. I figured she would appreciate that more. I'll try to get some pics of the finished coop next time I am out that way.
IMG_20200908_115423101.jpg
IMG_20200908_115355723.jpg
IMG_20200908_115415822.jpg

Back
Top Bottom