Anyone ever use a coop as a brooder?

As others have said a draft stop is important. Rounded corners in the pen prevent piling up.
A place to be warm and a place to find their own desired temperature too.
Here's mine, Its about 5'X8' in a 10X12 coop.
1660_aprol_25_11_009.jpg

Yes I used to have a wood upright freezer sized to put in baby chicks in cages in the basement. Did very well but the dust was unbelieveable after two years of brooding chicks off and on during that time. So I have to boot their little butts outside.

Has anyone "recycle" the stove hood? You can convert that into a floor brooder for smaller numbers of chicks!

Last edited:
Great ideas everyone, thanks for the replies so far! I was actually thinking of using the whole coop as the brooder, and putting a divider up so as they got bigger,they had more access to the coop. Never though of putting a brooder in the coop. I've always had the brooder in the house. Will NOT miss the dust, that's for sure! I'm wondering, my coop has vents along the sides at the top, and along the back, the whole way down the coop. Should I worry about blocking some of those off a bit, to reduce the cool airflow? I put up a pic to show what I'm talking about: It's kind of hard to tell, but you can see the vent on the upper side. The other side of the coop has the same vent. There is also about a 3 inch tall vent that runs along the whole back wall. All vents are covered with wire mesh.
44142_pallet_coop.jpg

Back
Top Bottom