Anyone ever use this on your coop??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dixiedoodle, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    My blacksmith guy calls it "Expanda metal', I call it that 'flat metal that has diamond shape holes in it that they make trailers (for hauling mowers and stuff on)"LOL! I am going to use it on my windows of my coop. It cost me 30$$ for both window openings!

My windows now have 1/2" hardware cloth (20 gauge) and I thought it was too small of gauge to keep out predators.. This will go on top of the hardware cloth.. I don't think a raccoon, possum, dog can chew thru it..

Has anyone else tried it??? Thanks Dixie

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Expanded metal is a great choice for so many things, it may be overkill for your windows but will work great.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    You are building a Gold Depository for chickens? Cool
    Now you just need to build little sniper towers

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  4. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    You mean this stuff? It's expanded metal, in steel or aluminum. The aluminum stuff would be great for screening windows.

[​IMG]

5. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Yes, that is the metal! Overkill?? This whole chicken coop is overkill-lol-- but my dh said he knew 'he would have heck to pay, if anything got into the coop/run and killed my birds'...so it is as secure as we can make it. chain link fencing over hardware cloth, completely enclosed run, buried wire, cement floor in the coop, heavy wood siding on the exterior, heavy metal roofing/over 3/4" plywood. My dh is an 'overachiever'--if a 2x2 is good, a 8x8 is even better.. should be his motto.. Dixie

6. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Sounds just like my DH. lol Your coop will be there for many many years. [​IMG]

7. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    That is very good stuff, thank you for mentioning it.

thanks again.

Omran.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by