Anyone every use VetRx Poultry Remedy for "Colds" ?

DooryardChickens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 18, 2009
New Hampshire
Yesterday I started my flock on Corid because they're losing weight. While at the farm store I also picked up VetRx. The stuff sounds pretty amazing for "colds, roup, scaly legs, eye worm", etc. It's also super simple to use according to directions. Has anyone every come across this stuff and used it? A few of my birds sound congested and I'd like to hear if anyone else has tried it. It can be found doing a Google search for VetRx Poultry Remedy. Thanks.

It's just Vicks Vaporub for birds. Has no real medicinal properties. Good for smothering scaley leg mites and shining up the legs, etc, but will not cure any respiratory illness/infections. If they are congested, they have a respiratory disease, not a cold (chickens do not get head colds like humans do). You should read up on things like Chronic Respiratory Disease, Mycoplasmosis, Coryza, etc. Those are carrier diseases, meaning if they seem to recover, they will be carriers for life, able to infect others.

Chickens actually don't get "colds" - they get respiratory infections. I think if it's VERY mild and the bird is VERY healthy, the VetRX does seem to help. You can drip it in their nostrils, and put a dab on your finger and then onto the roof of their mouth...also, under their winds, since they often will rub their heads underneath.

Corid is not what you want to use for respiratory conditions, however; that's used for coccidiosis...is that what you're treating?

Yes, I'm treating what everyone here thinks is cocci. I know chickens don't get colds. And that's exactly what it sounds like to me is Vicks for birds. I just don't know about treating any respitory illness while treating for cocci. Jeez.... my poor birds.

Please check out my BYC page, there is compiled information regarding the "colds" our birds get. Good luck and I like the vics comment...have to remember that!

I read your page. WOW. Excellent information!! Sounds to me like we have CRD in our coop. Since it only shows during the birds being stressed, overheated, cold or during molt. I have 1, possibly 2 in molt. And am treating with Corid due to weight loss.

I feel so confused about what to treat first!! Obviously my main concern is the weight loss (we already lost one hen). There have been a couple poops with blood in them. Most people say Cocci, some say maybe worms. Now for the respitory thing. I don't know how many things I can treat at once. I think I better find a vet. I just don't have lots of extra dough. I was hoping to fix all this on my own. UGH..

Thank you "spook" for the valuable information.

They're actually a bit old for Cocci...which why I asked their ages.

How long have you had them on Corid? You will want to follow up the Corid with some plain, low-fat yogurt to help ease their intestinal tract.

One thing could be the cause of another...if they DO have (or did have) cocci, it suppresses their hunger, so that could have caused them to not eat as much, which could have comprised their immune systems, allowing the virus that's causing the respiratory illness to take hold. That's my guess, anyhow.

I would suggest finding an avian vet and taking in a poo sample for them to do a float on. THey'll be able to let you know if there is a worm load that needs to be dealt with. Also, have you checked for external parasites?

Yes, I thought they're kind of old for Cocci too. I just started the Corid yesterday. And can I give them the yogurt mash during the Corid treatment? And can they have ACV right now too?
Funny thing, their appetites seem normal. They come a'runnin when I bring down tasty treats. Especially oatmeal. My roo, who is always a gentleman with the ladies, isn't calling them over for a treat. He eats it himself quickly before anyone gets there. He has always made sure they all eat well before he eats. (He's under a year old.) Also he's not crowing in the mornings (for the last week).
I will definitely find an avian vet in my area. As you can tell, I'm rather new to this. I acquired my flock in early May, 09.
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom