Anyone familiar with migratory bird act?

I'll step up to the plate here. Those ducks are not protected under the MBA because they are not wild animals. They are considered feral, which may entitle them to some local or state protections, but if you go and grab them there won't be any federal repercussions. I think you would be doing everyone a favor by snatching them. Everyone except the raccoons that is.

That being said, you may draw some attention to yourself while you are chasing them around the park with a landing net. So I would double check with local authorities and print out the email so when the cops show up you have something in writing.

What do you mean by feral? I am being told from others that technically all birds are mallard hybrids which make them protected because mallards are protected. But all of these breeds have names and none are listed as protected.

DNR was a dead end for me for now. Now waiting on DARD to reply. Not exactly sure how they would be more familiar but I will see where this path takes me.

What do you mean by feral? I am being told from others that technically all birds are mallard hybrids which make them protected because mallards are protected. But all of these breeds have names and none are listed as protected.

DNR was a dead end for me for now. Now waiting on DARD to reply. Not exactly sure how they would be more familiar but I will see where this path takes me.
Feral means any animal that was domesticated or comes from a domesticated line that is no longer tended by humans. So even though domestic ducks come from mallards, they are no longer wild mallards. If you saw a loose cow or pig out of someone's pasture and say, "Oh, look at that wild auroch and Eurasian boar." It's not an auroch or a wild boar anymore, it's a domestic cow and domestic pig that have gone feral.

Back
Top Bottom