anyone feed oats?

Yes, it is a natural laxative to them, and if you feed it to them, you will see some very runny poo. It is best to not feed it to them in my opinion.

You don't have to ferment them to sprout them.
I put 2 cups in a huge pickle jar and soak in hot water overnght. Then I drain them with a piece if screen on the jar instead of a lid. I lay the lid on it's side in a dark warm place. (oven with just the pilot light is great. The next day I rinse, drain and put back in warm spot over night.(rinsing keeps them from molding). By the next morning the sprouts are about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long and green and crunchy.

I was told that they get much more nutients from them this way when they are sprouted.
It's really not alot of work ! I usually have some going all the time so my girls get a big bunch at least once a week.
yippiechickie.gif

I may have to try that. I bought some pinched oats, and I've noticed that the girls really don't care for them. Of course, they'd really rather have the cracked corn, but I don't care!
lol.png
hee hee!
Same thing with the barley. The hulls get wadded up in their crops, and they need a lot of grit to get through it.

I am glad to see I am not the only one experimenting with different grains and such for the chickens.

Since I don't have much in the way of bugs or grass, I sprout wheat and other grain and seeds for them. I heat up yogurt and mix it with sprouted grains and vegetable scraps, they seem to really like it. I will have to try some differents cooked cereals.

I added a bit of raw hamburger the other day and they really liked that. I am not getting many grubs these days. So... I thought a bit of meat might be good for them.

Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't really talking about sprouting them. For some reason, which I am not entirely sure of, cockers have been fermenting them for many years. Something changes with them as they ferment from what I have been told, but a lot of the old timers don't know why things like that work, they just do it because it does...

It's not just something the old timers do. There are alot of nutrients that you and your chicken recieve from sprouting

Health Benefits of Sprouts
by Steve Meyerowitz

Sprouts have long been famous as "health food" but recent research shows that in addition to being a superb source of nutrients, they also have important curative ability. Sprouts like alfalfa, radish, broccoli, clover and soybean contain concentrated amounts of phytochemicals (plant compounds) that can protect us against disease.

Studies on canavanine, an amino acid analog in alfalfa, has demonstrated benefit for pancreatic, colon and leukemia cancers. Plant estrogens are also abundant in sprouts. They increase bone formation and density and prevent bone breakdown or osteoporosis. They are also helpful in controlling hot flashes, menopause, PMS and fibrocystic breasts tumors.

Alfalfa sprouts are one of our finest food sources of another compound, saponins. Saponins lower the bad cholesterol and fat but not the good HDL fats. Animal studies prove their benefit in arteriosclerosis and cardiovascular disease. Saponins also stimulate the immune system by increasing the activity of natural killer cells such as T- lymphocytes and interferon. The saponin content of alfalfa sprouts multiplies 450% over that of the unsprouted seed.

Sprouts also contain an abundance of highly active antioxidants that prevent DNA destruction and protect us from the ongoing effects of aging. It wouldn't be inconceivable to find a fountain of youth here, after all, sprouts represent the miracle of birth.

All Beans 9 - 12 hours 2 - 3 days
Alfalfa 5 - 10 hours 3 - 5 days
Almond 8 - 10 hours 2 - 3 days
Buckwheat 10 - 12 hours 2 - 3 days
Clover 8 - 10 hours 3 - 4 days
Corn 10 - 15 hours 3 - 5 days
Fenugreek 10 - 12 hours 4 - 5 days
Lentils 10 - 12 hours 2 - 3 days
Millet 8 - 11 hours 1 - 2 days
Oat Groats 8 - 10 hours 1 - 2 days
Peas 9 - 12 hours 2 - 3 days
Quinoa 8 - 10 hours 2 - 3 days
Rice 9 - 12 hours 3 - 4 days
Rye 9 - 12 hours 2 - 4 days
Sesame Seeds 8 - 11 hours 3 - 4 days
Spelt 6 - 12 hours 3 - 4 days
Sunflower Seeds 6 - 8 hours 2 - 3 days
Triticale 9 - 12 hours 2 - 4 days
Wheatgrass 10 - 12 hours 7 - 10 days

Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't really talking about sprouting them. For some reason, which I am not entirely sure of, cockers have been fermenting them for many years. Something changes with them as they ferment from what I have been told, but a lot of the old timers don't know why things like that work, they just do it because it does...

Anybody ever heard of soaking them in buttermilk overnight?? Will

Back
Top Bottom