Anyone Feed Sunflower Seeds to Chickens

Is it bad for them eat them regularly? We have BOSS mixed with their food and they LOVE them. But I was worried it was too much protein. I get an egg a day from each hen and our one female guinea. So, they seem to be doing fine. But one of my girls gets a pretty large "bump" in her crop. I wonder she is ok or if she is eating too many???

Any advice?
Some chickens eat them whole, while others take time to crack them open and eat the seed. Maybe she is just eating them whole and needs the extra grit to break it up?? Just a guess, but I've never heard of a chicken eating too much lol. As long as the aren't feeding primarily on a heat food like cracked corn over the summer.

BOSS is 15% protein, so it's NOT too much at all. (More than "scratch" and the fats -oil - useful for feather regrowth.)

I don't mix it with their feed because they will pick out the BOSS and it's lower in protein than their feed. I do give it to them daily, though, as a treat, usually mid day or in the afternoon. It's a great way to get some of the shyer birds to eat from my hands.

I have ... they love them... tend to loosen their stool if I give too much... needs to be a limited treat... :)

now is there more than one kind of black sunflower seed.??? I saw some in a bag at TSC...
does it have to say the word "oil" or just sunflower seeds?
We are finally getting wheels and handles on the cheapo made TSC Hen house.. The ramp is too heavy and have to prop it up to move the house and it is a pain in the butt to clean.. Has roofing shingles on irt. Hubby is putting a small caster wheel under ramp as I type... making it easier to move
thanks all
Jean

Were do I buy BOSS for my chickens ? How much does a 50 pound bag cost ? My hens are molting now and this is the protein that thy need
smile.png
Thanks,Ann

Were do I buy BOSS for my chickens ? How much does a 50 pound bag cost ? My hens are molting now and this is the protein that thy need
smile.png
Thanks,Ann
You can get Black Oil Sunflower seed at any feed mill and at most feed/farm stores. The price will range depending on location but around here I get it at around 27.00 a 50, now keep in mind that unless you have a lot of birds a 50# bag should last a wile.

Also unless your feeding a very low protein feed BOSS is not going to help with raising protein amount.

Back
Top Bottom