Anyone feeding chickens without any corn?

AGinPA

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 2, 2008
I know it's a long shot but are any of you feeding your chickens without using corn? My son is extremely allergic to corn, can't even be around it. So I'm working on formulating our own feed for our soon-to-be-purchased chicks. I've found lots of "recipes" that don't use corn (mostly "old-fashioned" ones, back when corn wasn't in every single thing) but I thought I'd see if anyone else is doing this. It's a bit overwhelming for a newbie to chickens.

Thanks!

We actually feed no corn at all to our older chickens. They are completely pasture fed except in the winter months when they would have difficulty in doing so. Our hens still lay 3-6 eggs per day between the six of them without additional feed or suppliments and they are extremely healthy as far as I am concerned.

Babies however I do feed the medicated feeds to until they are close to 20 weeks old.

Wow, that's really great, not having to feed them at all for much of the year. Sure would be simpler and cheaper! We'd love to have enough land to let them free range but we're just in the suburbs (with lots of cats around.) So they'll be in a chicken tractor on a new spot each day.

Quote:
What I've discovered is that once the chickens are full size, the cats don't really bother them...especially if you have a rooster. most suburban cats should be well fed enough not to try anything too tough with the hens, but dogs are a different story
sad.png

My hens were in a tractor and MY dogs tore it apart one day just to chase the chickens. They had plenty of food, I guess they were just bored and wondering what these chickens would do if they could run & play...unfortunately, the dog was faster than the chicks. We've since rehomed the dog and she's MUCH happier now (as am I)

(edited to add story about my dog)

Last edited:
Quote:
did i read that right? you feed nothing to the free rangers except in winter? I dont change my feeding program for different months. I have 18 hens who have 13 acres to roam, pasture land. and i feed one gallon of laying mash and half gallon of crushed corn daily. is this too much in the summer, they seem starved each morning and the rooster is watching for me and yelling his head off each morning. judy

the amount your feeding them is fine.they are trained to getting fed in the morning so they watch for you to feed emm.

I have been kicking this around. The local farm is organic and they only grow oats and wheat. No corn. With the price of feed going up I thought about making my own. I am waiting on a price for Fertrell nutrients. But they recommend to use soy beans and some other stuff that I wasnt planning or wanting to use. Any one use their product w/o corn?

*Well, I'm sure giving it some serious consideration with summer temps in the high 9O's around here!!! Finding layer feed w/o it seems well nigh impossible locally though. Closest feed store to me only carries Purina Layena & I'm not overwhelmingly happy with it. . . .

Joanna - Unfortunately we've got feral cats around. I'm pretty sure they'd go after chickens, given the chance. Our backyard is fenced so dogs can't get in but it's hard to keep the cats out.

Good to hear that others are considering going corn-free. I'd be interested to hear how you go about it.

Thanks for the interesting info regarding "old fashioned feeds" that don't include corn. I am considering making my own because even the no corn no soy feeds contain fish. I believe most of our fish are contaminated. I happen to enjoy fallout from fukashima.

Back
Top Bottom