Anyone fence 4 acres with chain link? Cost???

We're working on fencing 5 acres, piece by piece for the same reasons. I can't remember the details, but I also thought chain link was more expensive. Sometimes the gauge of the wire at Home Depot is smaller. Did you factor in all the pieces, top rail, caps, etc. I know there is a ton of parts. We went with the Redbrand horse fence-small holes work good for chickens. Fairly straight forward to install yourself, but alot of work of course.

Last edited:
We haven't really looked at what exactly we are going to get or the exact price. I want hunter green. I do know it's not cheap and there are a lot of extras to it. Plus, I want my husband to plant something around the inside border in the front and side yard. I have no idea what, but it will make it easier for maintenance and hopefully look nice. If its too much work, he'll have to hire someone to finish the job. He will not ask anyone for help. He's always been that way.

Hopefully it will be done in 2-3 years time. I can't help, I broke my neck 4 years ago and am disabled with pain. I can't walk far either.

We are buying the fence through home depot. We will wait for a sale if they have one as well. We'll have to call to see.

Last edited:
Why don't you look in the yellow pages for a fence company. we called our local company and they were glad to come out and look everything over and give us an estimate. we had them build us a 50x30 pen 6 feet tall. with one 36in. gate total cost was $1300. cost where you live could be more or less, but this may give you some ideal. don't get the feeling the fence will keep the chicks in or the varmits out. coyotes can clear a 6 foot fence without much trouble. I have heard reports of them going over 14ft high fences. if your chicks are fat a-----'s like ours you will not have to worry bout them getting out.

We are going with a 4ft fence. We are not going to install all of it at once though. My husband is really handy. I'm sure he'll install most of it himself.

We have our woods blocked off with chicken wire, my hens do not go past it all all.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll look into CL. My girls have so much room, I highly doubt they'd jump the fence. We blocked off an area in the woods and they have not yet once hopped the fence. If they ever do in the future, it's an easy fix. I'd clip one side of their flight feathers. They don't even go past the weeds in one area. However, my future chickens might not be so good.

The fence is really for keeping stray dogs out and our dogs in. It will help keep the chickens in too. My hens are not that brave and tend to stay hidden.

Something my husband would do as well. As far as the fence in the woods go though we have nice thick old growth. If you look at it 9 months out of the year you wouldnt even know a fence was running through it. When the trees were a bit barer you had to really squint to see it as coating blended in with most of the landscape. I just did this to save some time from digging in the posts and money on the posts. I did however get some ground staples and pounded them in along the bottom of the fence line where ever I felt they were needed to keep the fence tight to the ground. Good luck with your project!

I see used chain link on cl all the time. Sometimes it's free if you take it down yourself.
I looked on CL and I can not believe how many adds for cheap and free chain link fencing is. However, not much in the hunter green color. I'll keep looking. Most people have taken it down by the looks of the ads.

I just fenced in 5 acres I did it 100% by myself!!! Using 5 foot welded wire. I buried it in ground 1 foot down. It came in 100 foot rolls its 12.5 gauge. I did it for my 6 dogs and to keep out rabbits and other animals so that they are not eaten by my dogs.

Back
Top Bottom