Anyone fence 4 acres with chain link? Cost???

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
For several reasons, including keeping our hens from stepping on the neighbors property(right now I supervise their free time) and keeping our dogs in our property. Our dogs protect our property and house, so this fence is a must! My neighbors on both sides do not like my chickens.

We are going with a hunter green fence and starting the first half next spring. We need to get a survey and we will fence according to the law and as close as we can. We will use chicken wire for the back half in the woods to keep our dogs from escaping. About 2.5-3 acres is all wooded. This should also keep the coyotes, fox and wolves out, unless we fence them in.lol

The survey should be cheap. We have all 4 markers in place along with detailed markings of footing with the plot.

I'm very excited for this! We will gate the driveway in the summer, I'm not sure if the gate would work in the winter. I have plans of planting bushes and trees along the border of our fence for maintenance purposes. I'm sure this will be a slow process. By doing this, there will be no dispute about my hens. I will clip their one side of wing if I need to. I really like to free range from morning to dusk, but I want to be responsible about it.

Does anyone have any clue how much this will roughly costs? The fence at home depot is 49.00 per 50ft. Not including posts or gates. I'm guessing the first half will be roughly 2,000 or more?

Anyone fence a large amount of property before? Do you think fencing in your entire property will look okay?

Around here, 4.5 foot tall non-climb wire with a board on top goes in for $5-$6 per foot, including posts, gates, and labor. I have always heard that chain-link is more expensive than that.

Last edited:
I'll look into it, but the board would have to be replaced with something that will last. I'll see what hubby likes better.

The chain link is 49.00 for 50ft. With posts and gate, it's much cheaper. I'm pretty sure hubby will do the labor. Plus it's sturdier. The no climb wire is welded wire. It's what we have for our run.

Last edited:
I didnt go chain link but did go with 4' vinyl coated (we have smaller dogs) and my goal was to keep my chickens and dogs out of the neighbors yards. In the wooded areas to save some money I put the fencing tree to tree instead of using ground stakes. Not a straight line on the boundary but certainly saved some money that way.

I think your wasting your time and money running chicken wire thru 2-3 acres of woods. To start with every time the wind blows a tree limb will knock it down somewhere. Unless you bury it in the ground the predators (and your dogs) will find a way to get under it. Coons, Hawks, Possoms ect will climb or fly over it. Deer will run thru it or knock it down trying to go over it. Chickens don't need that much room. I would fence in a small area for the chickens and use invisable fence for the dogs. Just my opinion

I think your wasting your time and money running chicken wire thru 2-3 acres of woods. To start with every time the wind blows a tree limb will knock it down somewhere. Unless you bury it in the ground the predators (and your dogs) will find a way to get under it. Coons, Hawks, Possoms ect will climb or fly over it. Deer will run thru it or knock it down trying to go over it. Chickens don't need that much room. I would fence in a small area for the chickens and use invisable fence for the dogs. Just my opinion

The chicken wire is temporary. The chain link in the far back woods is too keep our dogs in and strays out, not for the chickens. The chickens will not go back that far. Our dogs protect our property and house, they will attack any dog that steps foot on our property. I do not want them biting people. Right now we have to leash them in our yard unless we take them in the back. This is why I want the fence. Plus our neighbors do not like chickens, so we will fence the front as soon as we are able. We want to chain link all 4 acres. I'm assuming it will cost 5,000 total when done, maybe more or less. I'd love to do it now, but hubby says no way. :/. We start next spring. By fencing in the front 1/2 will keep the chickens in and most dogs out. It will be so nice once it's all finished. It will keep the coyotes and wolves out. I guess they are back. I've seen them in my backyard a couple years ago during the day. Now we can hear them.

I'm not worried about the night predators. We have a very nice room- coop built inside our garage that is behind a fireproof steel door. Nothing can get them inside the coop. We have a nice run right now with welded wire, we are adding hardware cloth next weekend, so I can keep that coop door open at night. It should be secure double wired. The fence will keep from others/neighbors storing their things on our property that puts us at a huge liability risk as well.

Last edited:
I didnt go chain link but did go with 4' vinyl coated (we have smaller dogs) and my goal was to keep my chickens and dogs out of the neighbors yards. In the wooded areas to save some money I put the fencing tree to tree instead of using ground stakes. Not a straight line on the boundary but certainly saved some money that way.
I'd do it, but my husband will not.:p. He is very picky how everything looks. He about had a cow when I put a tarp for shading the chicken run. He quickly ordered a steel roof to match our house.lol This is what I did.
chicken2011014.jpg
He didn't want the neighbors to look at the tarp, so he made it much nicer and it works better.
600262c2-7466-4200.jpg

Back
Top Bottom