Anyone from DE who knows where to get DE??

client2t

Hatching
10 Years
Jul 16, 2009
Delaware
These forums are awesome. I'm from Delaware and was wondering if anyone knows where I can pick up some food grade DE. I know I can get it shipped to me but would rather have a local source. I am pretty close to Eastern Maryland / Chesapeake Bay area too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm not in Delaware, but our feed store carries it. I had to spell it as they didn't know what I was talking about when I said the word. Just ask, and maybe spell it. Chances are, it's in a 50 lb bag in the back.

I get mine from the local feed store. They had to order it at first, but now keep it in stock.
love.gif
just for me!
love.gif

Hello neighbor. I live in Townsend. Probably not far from you. The Southern States in Newark is going to carry Natures Best Organics and I noticed on the Natures Best website that they have DE. I just started with my chickens in April and ordered Perma-Guard DE from Randall-Burkey. I got the 10lb bag and have hardly made a dent in it. Check with Southern States and see if they will order it from Natures Best or they may even carry it already. Good luck.

Terri

Thanks to everyone for your help - esp. you Townsend - I'll check out SS in Newark - good luck w/ your birds!!

I live across the border in Cecil co. MD, and I ended up getting it delivered (50lb bag from somewhere in GA.--$60. or so) BUT it is well worth it! I am new to chickens, and was extremly discouraged with the flys this spring! I got chicknes to EAT insects and was excited to see the peeps chasing every nat and fly they saw--right in the air! But now they are four months old and they are more interested in things on the ground. anyway, I deep liter and as soon as I sprinkled DE over the litter the flys took off and most left! I would love to sprinkle a new layer every morning--but I am afraid this would be too much....

I also am an organic gardener--I have gotten my monies worth out of it in the garden too. It is the only organic answer that I have found to do away with cabbage worms on my broccoli--and keep the slugs at bay. I just sprinkle some on the plants once a week or so. If one should eat some it is actualy good for you, i ahve seen posts that people claim to eat it strait! (or mixed with water) I just started to use it on squash plants too--will see how it works on squash bugs.

I think the 50lb bag will last a few years......I have 40 head in two coops.

if you do find it locally, please let me know though...

Back
Top Bottom