Anyone from New Jersey?

Wow, there's a ton of Jersey dwellers. I'm from a town about halfway between Trenton and Philly. It's nice to see so many from the garden state.
big_smile.png

Hey folks!

Chicken noob here from Warren County (I know-- it's farm country and yet I'm new to this whole thing). My husband and I just got four sweet little chicks on Wednesday. We had ordered 5, but one didn't survive the journey. We've got an Australorp, a Rhode Island Red, a Wyandotte, and a Plymouth Rock. The Easter Egger is the one that didn't make it.

Anyway, just thought I'd stop in and say hi.

Calliope
smile.png

I live in Long Branch NJ Monmouth County. One of the few places in a town that having chickens is ok - no roosters though. We are looking to move to another area of Monmouth County that is a little more rural and can have roosters or northern Ocean county. I can't believe the rules and regulations some towns have.

Examples: Freehold- Must have 4 acres for chickens - but only 2 for horses!
rant.gif

Must be in farm zone/agricultural - Howell NJ
hu.gif

Can't have coop within 100 ft. of property line - Farmingdale
somad.gif

Anyone from this area know their towns rules?

Hi Amartinlb!

I'm in Jackson and the town is very agriculturally friendly. For the most part AC doesn't have a problem with anyone unless there is a complaint. The town is over 100 square miles, so there is much diversity among the different zones. If you find a property that is zoned agricultural there is a "Right to Farm" clause in the zoning laws that's called "freedom from harrassment". Basically, it states that no one can complain about anything that is considered a by-product of normal farming activity. This includes roosters crowing.

I live about a 1/2 mile from the Freehold border and 1 mile from the Howell border, so I'm in the extreme northeast portion of Ocean County. I have a friend in Freehold that lives in a sub-division who fell in love with my chickens. She went to the zoning board and found that she is able to have chickens!!! So be sure to check the specific location of the property you may be interested in, because it may change from area to area within a town.
Good Luck!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom