Anyone grow their own feed?

I do that too. And I pick the leaves for the penned birds through the winter.

We have mulberry trees along two fence lines. They produce a lot and fruit at a young age.

But what part of a mulberry is high in protein.?

This is just something I found.

http://www.fao.org/ag/aga/AGAP/frg/mulberry/papers/HTML/mulbwar2.htm
If it doesn't come through it's Manuel D. Sanchez FAO, Rome
in essence it says palatable and digestible 70-90%, 15-28% protein depending on type of plant in leaves and young stems. Good amino acid profiles and mineral content is high. No toxic compounds have been found. This is a nifty little plant.
thumbsup.gif

OK. I thought you were referring to the fruit. That's the only part I've seen the chickens eat. It gets tall fast and out of reach for the chickens to reach the leaves. As you said, the fruit falls for a couple months so there's always some on the ground.

I have about 15 chickens ( 4 of them are ducks)
I planned on doing a garden for fun this year so I thought why not do it for the chickens. Maybe it would cut down the feed cost as well.

Also fermenting your feed? Can some one give a link or tell me how to do it please!

I have about 15 chickens ( 4 of them are ducks)
I planned on doing a garden for fun this year so I thought why not do it for the chickens. Maybe it would cut down the feed cost as well.

Also fermenting your feed? Can some one give a link or tell me how to do it please!

There are 2 or 3 sites. Just search fermented feeds. Both are good. Try the one with under 200 posts. You can not have to read over 1000 posts like the first. However, I went to the big one first and read and read for days. So much info and all good.

Back
Top Bottom