anyone grow their own veg?

spish

De Regenboog Kippetjes
13 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Belgium
well the spring will shortly be here so its that time of year to get my veggy patch in order. it will be my second year growing veg and am feeling really excited. last year due to the bad weather i had a lot of failures but my corgettes and runner beans did extremely well!

just wondering does anyone here grow there own (im betting theres a fair few!)

perhaps we could have our own kitchen gardeners thread (and now someones gonna come along and say there already is one after me searching for one for an hour!!)

big_smile.png

We had a good garden two years ago. We had zucchini, summer squash, peas, green and yellow beans, lettuce, radish, eggplant, corn, bell peppers, couple different kinds of hot peppers, couple varieties of tomatos. They all did pretty well. We tried watermelon and cantelope too but they didn't catch on.

We didn't do a garden last year, but I am going to try some this year. Maybe in containers.

yeah this year we've made to large aluminium raised beds with wheels underneath, so if the weathers turn too bad again we can at least wheel the majority of the growing veg in the barn out of frosts way. last year we lost all our tomatoe crops, lettuce, cucumbers and melons too bad weather and unusual late frosts so im going to be prepared this year!

i may even go for the upside tomatoe plants so i can hang them off the ground, that way they should be safer

last year my garden was taken over by pumpkins and I couldn't grow a cucumber to save my life, but it was also a great tomato year.

The year before we got hit with a state wide tomato plague. The only happy vegies were squash varieties, but it was a killer good year for strawberries and blueberries.

The only thing I've really learned about gardening is that if it was our only food source we would starve.

Quote:
I tried for years to grow some watermelons. I tried seeds. I tried seedlings. In pots, in the ground and a raised bed. Nothing worked. I finally found the best method. I give my kids some watermelon to eat, they spit the seeds over the side of the porch, I sweep some shavings and chicken poop off the porch and a short time later....watermelons with no effort!

I told DDs that this year we were going to plant a whole garden via this method.

Lots of veg here. Corn,heirloom matos,peas,beans,carrots,water mellon, brussel sprouts,potatoes,zukes,pickles,squash, peppers, sweet&hot,salad,spinich,pumpkins,onions and herbs. All worth it.....but organic means lots and lots of weeding.

............................................................Monsanto free........................................

Thanks for reminding me, we have to get ready for spring in 90 days:barnie
[/img]

Last edited:
For the last two years we have grown a garden! This year we used a machine and took all the hay/ grass off of a place for a new garden closer to the house! That will be my veggie garden and the old garden will be for pumpkins and watermelon! I am really excited about gardening this year because we saved enough money and bought a great rototiller! My husbands back thanks us! I tried to explain that I wanted a coop and moat built around it and he complained about money! Thats because our first coop cost alot! ( We were new!) And he just refurbished an old coop out of repurposed stuff! So I will wait and work on him later! I will have a third coop and a moat around the garden!
I have some old seeds left from last year and the year before...hoping they are still good! Mostly I have lots of okra seeds if anyone needs any pm me your address! I cant wait until Spring! I will be starting indoors all my plants this year! Getting excited! Especially since out of 35 birds we are getting a dozen eggs a day! Just hink how many we will be getting soon! And this year I get to let my broodies hatch out their chicks!
hide.gif
Sorry to jack your thread!

Last edited:
We have for the past 3 years. I'm already planning what I am going to plant etc. I'd like to make the garden bigger this year.Cant wait until spring!!

I INTEND to have a veg. garden every year, but just tomatoes, bell peppers, hot peppers usually. My kids did great with the sugar bush watermelons one year, they let them sit in plastic helmets (pretend and real construction helmets) while they were growing to prevent them rotting. Worked great! I would like to see others pics of their garden plots to get me motivated...OP thanks for starting this!

i have a good veg garden every year..i have it fenced off.. about a 20x30 i put alot in there in the winter... clean out chicken coops...goat barn.... ashes from the fire place potato peelings egg shells....then it all gets tilled in spring....I grow a good garden doing that....plenty of veggies for all the family and more and freezing and canning

Back
Top Bottom