Anyone had success crossing cornish with white Rock?

smsabean

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Hi Everyone:

I am new to Backyard Chickens Forum and am just finding my way around it this morning. However, I have often come across this site while doing a Google search on some chicken topic.

At this time I do not have any chickens on the property but have raised meat birds and layers for many years. I am getting some layer chicks this spring and also decided to try to make my own cornish X white rock, just for fun. I am purchasing some white laced red cornish (since I could not find a source for white cornish) and some white rock pullets. Next spring I hope to cross the Cornish rooster with white rock hens to see what I get as a result.

Of course I do not expect the chicks to be the same as the commercial cross, but am wondering if anyone has tried this cross and what results they may have had. I am hoping to get a fairly meaty bird. I would be happy if they did not grow quite as quickly as the commercial breeds but still produced a plumb roasting bird that grew fairly rapidly.

Again, I am just interested to know what results others have had?

Thanks
smsabean

I've messed around with breeding different birds to the cornish and havn't had much luck. I think others on here try to mess with the breeding as well but it takes a lot of time and patience to get anywhere. If you have about 10 years of trial and error i'm sure you will get something that's worth keeping.

The thing is, which you may already know, is the fact the cornish x rocks are 60+ years in the making so trying to copy a bird even half of what the cornish x rocks are today is going to be a hard task.

But on the flip side of things... the cornish x rock had to start somewhere and it started with a cross similar to what you intend to breed. A white rock male usually... and a cornish hen.

Good luck as it will be a fun venture and............
welcome-byc.gif

Please keep us posted on your results, I'm always also very interested in the turnout. I've been snagging info and pictures from all over the board and trying to keep track of cross-breed results to help me decide which chickens I'll be keeping for breeding purposes
smile.png

Quote:
I am also going to try working on a meat project this year. I want to cross Dark Cornish with another English breed, probably the Redcap. I find it a little daunting as I will have to keep a flock of Redcap, a separate flock of Dark Cornish and then a flock of the cross. I look forward to reading more about others' experiences with crossing meaties so that I can learn.

Quote:
Oh, I won't!
hide.gif
it's true though, those people--and all the mods--know their stuff for real!

BTW smsabean,
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom