Anyone have a 2nd story coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dgkatz, Mar 26, 2009.

1. dgkatz

dgkatz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2008
    The city is making me take down one of my coops. My easiest option is to make a coop in the second story of my barn. I was wondering how the chickens would do with a long ramp to the ground outside so they can still free range. Any input would be great. I only have 2 weeks to relocate the birds. thanks

2. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    That stinks! I am not sure about a second story...I'm curious to what other have to say and if someone has experience with it. Very interesting idea though!

Does an addition onto your barn, count as an additional coop if it is connected to the original structure? Why would they care anyway? Argh!

3. kick'n chick'n

kick'n chick'n Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    tennessee
    they will use a long ramp. do a search on here someone had pics of a coop in the loft area of their barn or garage,dont remember which. they also had pics of their chickens using the long ramp.

4. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

The birds will do fine with a second story coop, just as soon as they get the hang of it. [​IMG] Most birds enjoy being up high for night time roosting as it gives them a 'safer' feel.
    You may want to give the long ramp some thoughts as to how to build it. Many birds will attempt to jump/fly instead of walking a long flight. If you were able to build platforms from which a hen can then fly to the next platform, this might work also. And you'll have to be careful if you've any chicks.

Good luck!

Carla

5. dgkatz

dgkatz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2008
    My barn is "grandfathered" in. No additions or modifications will be allowed. The inspector said he personally did not care but that someone called and complained and therefore he has to enforce that it be taken down

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeah, there's someone here with a really neat little coop on the second story of a garage/barn (IIRC) somewhere in New England I believe, and I'll be darned if I can remember *who*, sorry.

Evidently it can be made to work, though. If I were in your shoes I'd go for it [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by