Anyone have a chicken that just doesn't lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jettgirl24, Jan 12, 2011.

1. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Hi Guys,

I have a 10 month old BR that has layed MAYBE 5 eggs in the entire time I've had her. Frankly I'm not even sure she's layed that many. She is otherwise healthy, active, and gets a good diet. My other chickens are great layers, she just never really got it going. I know if she lived with anyone else she would likely be in the soup pot by now but she has been my favorite since she was a little fuzzbutt and she just loooves to snuggle!

Anyone else have a chicken like that? Am I correct to assume that if everything else is normal that it won't cause health problems or anything?

Here is the little slacker back when she was a cute little baby full of egg laying promise:

[​IMG]

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I have a buff & a black silkie - got them both as day old chicks. They are almost a year now & have yet to lay an egg.

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I have a malay hen that's about 4 or 5 yrs old, she's laid 3 eggs her entire life that I am aware of.

4. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I have a silver phoenix that started laying at 15 weeks, went broody at 23 weeks and I don't think she has layed since. She is about 18 mts old now.

5. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I have an EE hatched in May that has never layed an egg. And there's the Jersey giant that was hatched in March. Oh, the two cochin bantams that were also hatched in March. Yep...we have a few around here.

6. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:The JG isn't old enough yet, I have one the same age...

7. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    i have a leghorn that i bought from the feedstore in febuary that has yet to lay an egg [​IMG]

8. pixcoco

pixcoco New Egg

Jan 7, 2011
    remsen NY
    I have may hens I got from the feed store.
    They said they were arachanas but now I know they are EE's. One has just started laying pretty green eggs and today I got a strange skinny tan/pink egg. Still waiting for the others to get with it. I thought maybe it was the breed? Oh, there is that strange black hen, don't know what she will lay.
    that one today could have been her.

coco

9. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    I have a BSL that will be a year old next month and NADA!!!

10. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    We had a RIR roo that wouldn't lay an egg. Stupid roos.

Actually we had a beautiful Blue Cochin that was a year old and never layed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by