Anyone have a recipe for homemade dressing to share?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bantamman13, Nov 24, 2008.

1. bantamman13

bantamman13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    I really want to make a cornbread dressing from scratch this year but can't find a recipe that sounds good would like to get one someone has tried. Thanks for any help.

2. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
  3. bantamman13

bantamman13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Everyone make stove top?

4. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    here is what i make every year.
    first, bake 2 pans of cornbread and set aside.
    cut up some celery and onions and fry them with a stick of butter..add salt, pepper, and sage and let the onions brown. then, crumble up your cornbread in a bowl, add the celery and onion mixture and after that, add enough chicken broth to make it sticky, like dough..mix it really well and stuff the turkey with it!
    you can also, on other days take cut up cooked chicken and mix it with this dressing and bake it for about an hour..then serve with chicken gravy and mashed potatoes [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I stuff my bird but don't use cornbread stuffing.

6. Cackel

Cackel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    I use the herb corn meal bag stuffing and add diced onions and celcry, two eggs , a little veg. shorting and chicken broth , mix well and put in long bakeing pan and cook for about and hour or until it is brown on top, cut in squairs , Make gravy to serve on top or use Campbells turkey gravy , it is very good

7. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Cook your cornbread omiting sugar if you normally use it. Combine cornbread with either dried bread crumbs or Pepperidge Farms blue label stuffing mix. (I use a 2/3 cornbread, 1/3 bread ratio).
    Cook chopped celery and onions in small amount of oil until onions are soft, add to above mixture. Heat 1/2 cup milk in same skillet and add.
    Mix this together and add poultry seasoning with extra sage if you like it. (Mc Cormicks is best or check their ingredients and mix your own)
    Add broth, let bread soften and mix well. Have a taster check out the seasoning with you. You may want salt and pepper added also.
    Now mix in eggs (4-6). Bake in greased pan until lightly brown. Oven temp 350 but this is forgiving, You can use this to stuff the turkey also.

Giblet gravey. Cook giblets in salted water until done. Cool and chop giblets. Chop 1-2 boiled eggs. I usually put this broth in my dressing and use some from the turkey for making the gravey. Bring 1 1/2 cups broth and 1/2 cups milk to boil, add giblets, eggs. Thicken with cornstarch dissolved in water. Salt and pepper as desired.

Enjoy but have some leftover to eat cold too!!

8. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
  9. Possumpoint

Possumpoint Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    I know it's Turkey Day already, but thought I would post this dressing recipe anyway. This is my mom's dressing recipe. Not sure if it's one of her own recipes or not but I grew up eating it and every year have requests for the recipe or a pan of it, so it's loved by alot of people.

This recipe fills a 5 qt. (11 x15) glass baking dish to the rim, so it will feed a crowd. I suggest you use the above size glass dish to bake this dressing, cause I've tried it in other pans and it's just not the same.

It's not fancy or overly seasoned with herbs, but it does have just the right amount of flavors that a good cornbread dressing should have. It's very, very moist and it goes together easily.

Southern Cornbread Dressing

1 box Jiffy cornbread, made as directed on box. Bake, cool and crumble in extra large bowl.

1 (16 oz.) Pepridge Farm Herb Stuffing
    1 (8 oz.) Pepridge farm Cornbread Stuffing
    6 large eggs
    4 cans chicken broth
    4 ribs celery, diced small
    1 large onion, diced small
    2 sticks butter (No Substitudes!!!)

Add Pepridge Farm stuffing mixes to crumbled Jiffy cornbread in bowl. Saute the diced onion and celery in the butter until tender but not burned. Add sauted vegetables and butter to dry dressing in bowl and mix together well. Add chicken broth and eggs and mix well. Spray 11 x 15 glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and add dressing. Cover tightly with foil and bake in a 375 degree oven for 1 hour, 15 minutes. *Check for doneness with a toothpick after one hour. When done, remove foil to brown a bit.

*Make sure you cover tightly with foil before baking or it will dry out. Some people forget this step for some reason and call me up all upset, LOL. Cover, cover , cover for very moist dressing!

LOL, I take any cold leftovers and slice it, fry it in a little butter and add it along with some leftover turkey and gravy to buttered and toasted sub rolls. DH and DD also add a little cranberry sauce to theirs...I like my cranberry sauce on the side. But oh man, it's AWESOME!

Wishing everyone a Blessed Thanksgiving!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by