Anyone have an idea on how to deal with a mean rooster without killing/hurting it?

With respect, I reject your premise.

"When the need arises - and it does - you must be able to shoot your own dog. Don't farm it out, that doesn't make it better, it makes it worse." Robert A. Heinlein

The same applies to chickens, whether hen or rooster. Either because prolonging a life of pain is no courtesy, or because some beast has demonstrated its inability to comport itself in civilized society. When one of the flock can't stop causing serious harm to another, delay only puts an innocent life in danger to the benefit of the aggressor.

The last kindness you can do is to ensure its ending is swift and somber, without joy or sorrow.

...as my only adult rooster discovered about 4 weeks back, setting my breeding project back months. He got a pass when he attacked me (once) while defending the flock (I was snatching the girls up to weigh them). When he attacked my wife as she came out to feed them? He made the decision for me.

Welcome!
If he's 'only' attacking your senior dog, that's still not a good thing. your old dog doesn't deserve this!
If that's his only issue, locking him up so your dog can enjoy life without being attacked at home would work.
If he's a jerk generally, he's a liability and needs to be gone. Rehoming an aggressive rooster is only done with full disclosure, for some family's dinner, IMO.
Mary

I’m sorry you are in this situation. I have no tricks to make a mean rooster nice. If you are unable to kill the rooster, are you okay with giving him to another flock or farm?

If he is only going after your dog and you want to keep him your best bet is to keep them separated. If things escalate and he starts going after people that's a different story, but defending his flock from the (perceived) threat of your dog is pretty much just doing his job. If separating them isn't an option then I'd rehome the rooster. He hasn't done anything to show he wouldn't be a good fit in someone else's flock.

How mean is mean? Is it attacking you? Other people? Small children? Other chickens? What exactly is he doing? How much nonsense are you willing to put up with? Is he causing you stress? Causing stress within the flock? How badly do you want to keep him, and why?
no but our other rooster attacked some other young girl called winter wolf.

Back
Top Bottom