Anyone have any tips for building ponds?

Apr 13, 2022
Central New York
I am thinking about getting a pond. Is bugs a big problem for a duck pond? I also wanted to add koi fish, because I know that the ducks will not eat them. Any tips for building the duck pond and keeping up with the maintenance? I have 21 ducks, so how big and deep should the pond be so that they can properly swim without packing themselves into the pond like with the kiddie pools? Will a pond help their feet stay healthier too? We lost two Pekín ducks to feet and leg infections and bumble foot. I really want them to be happy ducks!

I am thinking about getting a pond. Is bugs a big problem for a duck pond? I also wanted to add koi fish, because I know that the ducks will not eat them. Any tips for building the duck pond and keeping up with the maintenance? I have 21 ducks, so how big and deep should the pond be so that they can properly swim without packing themselves into the pond like with the kiddie pools? Will a pond help their feet stay healthier too? We lost two Pekín ducks to feet and leg infections and bumble foot. I really want them to be happy ducks!
I don't have much advice for ponds, aside from this - we had a koi pond for years. Our biggest issue was raccoons fishing from it. We lost so many fish... and koi are not exactly cheap. We tried everything short of putting the pond in a giant enclosure, and nothing deterred them. Not sure if trash pandas are a thing where you live, but something to consider! 🦝

The lesson I have learned after installing an above-ground swimming pool in-ground -- waterfowl love shallows. They have a nice 10ft diameter x 3ft deep pool and they still prefer the kiddie pool. They also love making mudpies, so if its purpose built plan for a mud pie area. I have feeder goldfish in my pool which are cheap, take care of the mosquitos, and aren't a big loss if anything eats them.

Depths however ARE fun. The times they do go swimming there is diving and rolling around and misc fun you don't see in the wading pool.

Back
Top Bottom