anyone have chickens and bees?

trunkman

Songster
10 Years
Dec 26, 2009
Rock Hill SC
I'm about to be the owner of two bee hives and also already have a bunch of chickens that I free range in the area that I will have the hives set up so I'm worried if the chickens will bother the bees. Do any of you have both bees and chickens that co-exist and if so have you had any problems? Do your chickens leave the bees alone or try to eat them or do they drink from the same waterer? I'd like to learn what problems I can expect.
hu.gif

This interests me as I have chickens and I would really like to get a hive sometime this year.
I've always wanted to try my hand at beekeeping.

Interesting question.... I'm thinking that if the chickens start to bother the bees the bees would attack.

I'm also getting 2 packages of bees , they arrive the beginning of April !! My chickens are securely kept in coops with very large fenced in runs . 1 is 25'x50' and the other is 3'x30'.. They should never come into contact with the bees unless the bees come to visit them.

I'm fairly new to this but my chickens won't grab bees they start then back off , maybe smarter then there credited .

Hello all, I do have a few bee hives about 50 feet away from my coop and I have absolutely no problems with the girls bothering the bees, and my girls free range a lot.
Just last week, the weather warmed up just enough for a few of my bees were able to get out and fly, I threw a dead bee to the girls and they would not eat it! They pecked at it for a bit then left it alone. Maybe they know not to bother them!! Any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Back
Top Bottom