Anyone have ideas what these may be?

rjsilvers

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 3, 2011
Hi folks. New here. I received these birds below from my grandpa. He didn't seem to know what he had, and frankly, I have no clue. I think they're mutts, but was kind of curious if anyone would be able to point me in a general direction. According to my grandpa he bought what he thought was 1 RIR cock, 3 RIR hens and then about a month later bought 2 White Faced Black Spanish Cocks and 2 White Faced Black Spanish hens. These birds pictured were all hatched directly from that group of birds (i.e: the parents are somewhere in those 8 birds he originally acquired).

Anybody want to give it a shot? The only thing I know for sure is that there were definitely two White Faced Black Spanish roos because he still has them. He still has his original "RIR" rooster as well, but to me doesn't look like a RIR.

roo1.jpg

Rooster

roo2.jpg

Rooster Different Angle

hen1.jpg

First Hen

hen2.jpg

Second Hen

hen3u.jpg

Third Hen

hen4.jpg

Fourth Hen

Thanks for any help.
smile.png

The roo looks like he could be a Welsummer mix.I'm judging from those green feathers,if anything.
Your first hen looks like she could be a golden laced Wyandotte maybe mixed with a RIR.
The second hen could maybe be an Orpington mix.
The fourth hen definitely looks like a Black Australorp mixed with something of a smaller size.
Good luck!
cool.png

Quote:
I really like them, too. The roo especially has a very mellow demeanor which from what I've been reading on this forum is pretty rare.
smile.png

I think you might be right about the New Hampshire in the mix. One of the old hens that's still around (a couple ended up food for predators as they free range), looks much more like a New Hampshire than a RIR.

Quote:
This really helped. I didn't know what a Welsummer was until this post, but I looked it up and it seems very similar to the original roo that's still around. He doesn't look much like a RIR at all. I'll post pics of him if I get a chance to go back over there.

The Black Australorp is probably dead on as well. The original "White Faced Black Spanish" hens that he purchased did not actually have white faces. I just thought that maybe females of that breed lacked the white face, but I'm thinking now that he actually got two white faced roosters and two Black Australorp hens.

Thanks.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom