Anyone have Mimosa Trees????

Keep it. My mom has the stump from the two she planted 40 years ago. They both died or split and she has none.

I don't think they spread from the root, but rather the seeds. I looked and looked till I found one in someone's yard and got a little one. It is now 9 - 10 ft tall. I love it.

Last edited:
Quote:
I like them too! You (the OP) must be fairly far south - I never saw a seed sprout from our 20+ year old tree. It had to be cut down for an addition and the stump resprouted a bit but then died.

I think that the worst invasives have a mechanism like a fruit to spread their seeds (by birds mostly)- Mimosas do not - It is not very invasive if it could only spread in your yard - JMO.

Definately leave it - it was what you wanted and others have them anyway. There is nothing quite like one.

edit: I would definately doubt the 50 year thing too. - the seed has nothing but its pod and a thin shell to protect it and bacteria and fungi are relentless - maybe in an envelope inside, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Leave it. We have quite a few around the property. If I don't mow for a few weeks, I can see the little sprouts but the mower takes care of that quickly.

We have a TON of Mimosa trees - they keep cropping up in places we dont want them to (inside our 80+ year old boxwoods for one...) and no matter what we do, back they come! I enjoy them out in the wooded part of our property but in the middle of my wildflowers or in my old boxwoods or my mulch - no! We've cut them, pulled them, painted them with kerosene, turpentine, you name it we've done it - they keep coming BACK!

Very annoying and mine must be the invasive type or something. Maybe everyone else has some cross-breed or something ? These suckers are like the Energizer Bunny - they keep going..and going..and going...
gig.gif

If anyone wants any - I'd be more than happy come spring to dig up and ship to you for the cost of shipping - they grow VERY fast too.

I love Mimosa! We played with the blooms and seed pods as kids.. They have a lovely scent. It is called a 'trash tree' and we have them everywhere on our farm. My honeybees as well as hummingbirds, bumblebees and other pollinators visit every day..

One day when my son was 2 (he's thirty now), I was hanging clothes and he was sitting under a big Mimosa --waiting for our 'picnic'... He said "momma, hurry'--I went flying thinking there might be a snake--He said "look'... The Mimosa was FULL of hummingbirds...hundreds of them! We lay on the blanket and watched for hours..It was much louder than my beehives..

Just rake the seedpods and/or mow if any comes pop up! Enjoy and watch for hummers in the spring and summer!

UHHHG! Please send me some! We have had a horrible time getting them to survive (there is some kind of disease that kills them off). I grew up with a huge one in my parents yard and what ever disease is spreading down here got to it. We use to see them all over as kids with their beautiful feathery flowers but now you only see them once in a while in the woods.

I will gladly send the saplings come spring - just PM me your addresses and you can have them - I know how to ship live trees and get them to survive
smile.png
. They may be on the smaller side (like 12-18 inches) but let me tell you - by the end of summer that 12-18 inch tree will be a 4 footer I assure you. Mimosa grows like bamboo does.

MissPrissy - do you really want a tree too? I absolutly will send it to you. I'll send out seeds too if anyone wants them.

I dont know what it will cost to ship a little tree but I dont think it will be too much, probably less than $4.00 I'd imagine.

Good lord I cannot type today!

(still listening to my girl honking....
big_smile.png
she's not liking being in the house!)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom